My dog has arthritis

My dog has arthritis the vet has given her loxicom. Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas what else I could to help her.

Hydrotherapy can help,(wont help the arthritis per se) but it will exercise the body without weight bearing on the joints, my neighbour took their dog for doggie massage as well.

Any idea where they took the dog for both or either. Thanks

green lipped mussel extract joint aid is very good

Make sure your dog maintains the correct weight as obesity will add pressure to the joints. Don't over exercise him - short, frequent walks are best. Keep him warm and give him a comfortable bed. Don't allow him to jump on the bed or settee. Feed a good quality food - some contain green lipped muscle. Nutraquin+ and Yumove are supplements that have good reviews. The dog only needs one or the other as they both contain glucosamine and chondroitin.

See Kate at Splashy Pups, Rutland Road for hydrotherapy and physiotherapy.

Edited by ccit

Make sure your dog maintains the correct weight as obesity will add pressure to the joints. Don't over exercise him - short, frequent walks are best. Keep him warm and give him a comfortable bed. Don't allow him to jump on the bed or settee. Feed a good quality food - some contain green lipped muscle. Nutraquin+ and Yumove are supplements that have good reviews. The dog only needs one or the other as they both contain glucosamine and chondroitin.

See Kate at Splashy Pups, Rutland Road for hydrotherapy and physiotherapy.

I second that.

Obviously you'll never cure the arthritis or make the effects go away but my dog has been undergoing hydrotherapy for over two years and the deterioration

in his quality of life has been a fraction of what it was likely to have been without hydro.

We had ours on glu+chondritin but then moved him to cod liver oil.

Aquavets, Oak Street, Sheffield, S8 9UB, tel no 0114 258 3221

http://www.aquavet.co.uk/

My daughter did some work experience here and said it's lovely.

Edited by Sam71
added website link

Magnetic collars.

This type of treatment will always have its believers and its non-believers, the bottom line is if it works for your animal then that is all that is important.

We used one on one of our old dogs and thought it made a difference and was a relatively small price to pay to try something that may or may not help.

Humans to horses have tried this method for arthritis cures and after all, what determines whether something "works" ,Written word or personal experience.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/ever-used-magnetic-dog-collar.171988/

Edited by sr_1867
adding a discusion link

We have a magnetic collar as well, i can't vouch for its abilities for arthritis but it doesn't appear to help with hip dysplasia. Someone we know does recommend them for his big dogs though.

Thanks for all your suggestion. I have ordered a collar and printed a form from aqua pets for our vet to fill in. Was wondering if anyone knows how much a session in the pool is.

IIRC when i contacted them they were about £35 a session which is an hour.

SplashyPups is now £32 for new customers.

One of my friends gave her elderly dog turmeric, and she said it made a big difference to his mobility.