James Hounsfield - Hackenthorpe Hall

Does anybody have any information on James Hounsfield, the rich land owner that built Hackenthorpe Hall and also the Christ Church at the end of Sheffield Road.

I came across this photo of him on the Picture Sheffield website:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s08443&pos=2&action=zoom

I can't seem to find where he was buried

Just looking at public records, James Hounsfield died aged 88 in 1902 and his son James Jermyn Hounsfield continued to live at Hackenthorpe Hall - here is a link to a scan of the 1911 census page.

Interestingly, James Jermyn's son - Nigel James Jermyn Hounsfield in on the 1939 register still living with his mother Sophia at Hackenthorpe Hall. He is down as incapacitated. Unmarried so perhaps it all ended with him!

Edited by smary

According to the Sheffield Council site, Hackenthorpe Hall was built in 1653 (no further

details).

Sheffield Independent, 11 Feb1860.

To be sold by Private Treaty, the first class Mansion, Hackenthorpe Hall; Also,

three cottage houses.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 21 Apr 1870.

Marriages- Hounsfield - Hounsfield.

On 20th inst. at All Saints Church, (Sir John Brown's), Sheffield.

Thomas, younger son of James Hounsfield. Esq., of Hackenthorpe Hall to Susan,

youngest daughter of the late Thomas Hounsfield, Esq., of Springwood House, Sheffield.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 19 July 1893.

Mr Thomas Hounsfield remains were yesterday interred in the newly constructed

vault in Beighton Churchyard, adjoining the family one.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 15 July 1902.

The late Mr James Hounsfield of Hackenthorpe Hall.

On Saturday last the funeral of the above took place at Beighton.

According to his will, half the estate went to J. J. Hounsfield and the other half

was left in trust to the children of his deceased son Thomas.

£106,529 4s 8d gross, £96,823 3s 5d net.

James Jermyn Hounsfield J. P. of Hackenthorpe Hall, buried 19 Oct 1931, Beighton

Parish Church.

James Jermyn Hounsfield, bap 14 Nov, 1845 at Sheffield Parish Church.

Parents: James and Ann.

Moira.

Lot's of interesting replies, that's interesting to hear his son may not have had kids! I did actually find out the hall dates back well before James:

'Built by John Newbould in 1653 and was the home of Mrs. Hounsfield'

sent you a pm

Does anybody have any information on James Hounsfield, the rich land owner that built Hackenthorpe Hall and also the Christ Church at the end of Sheffield Road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s08443&pos=2&action=zoom

The Hounsfields are buried in Beighton churchyard right outside the entrance to the church.

I have about 6 pages of history for the Hounsfields including a family tree if you are interested. Too much to post here.

Angela

Edited by Tuppie

The Hounsfields are buried in Beighton churchyard right outside the entrance to the church.

I have about 6 pages of history for the Hounsfields including a family tree if you are interested. Too much to post here.

Angela

Angela, I just sent you a PM with my email address, I would definitely appreciate seeing any information you have

hi there was a member of the hounsfield family buried in the woodhouse trinity chuchyard.I am not sure if the grave is still there. try woodhouse trinity church for the website and there may be someone there who can offer info. my wife has just reminded me that there is a memorial to one of the family in st. james church in woodhouse.

Edited by buddysbuddy
further info

hi there was a member of the hounsfield family buried in the woodhouse trinity chuchyard.I am not sure if the grave is still there. try woodhouse trinity church for the website and there may be someone there who can offer info. my wife has just reminded me that there is a memorial to one of the family in st. james church in woodhouse.

Thanks a lot for the information, i'll have to go over to the church when I'm back home in June and see what I can find out, I appreciate the help

I am researching a book on the 1939 first-class cricket season and have come across Thomas Douglas Hounsfield born 29 April 1910 and who, according to Wikipedia, was born at Hackenthorpe Farm. Has anyone any information on this member of the family …. ????

I have found Thomas Douglas Hounsfield living on the farm in 1939. He then seems to move around - he died in Richmond Surrey 8 Feb 1994.

Edited by smary