Opinions on Walkley Primary and Bradfield Dungworth

Hi, I have a little boy with autism and we've recently moved to Walkley. The reception is full but we could be on the waiting list due to catchment. He's really vulnerable to bullying and I want him to get the best support possible. I just wondered if others had opinions?

Also there is a space at Bradfied Dungworth that looks a lovely little rural school and also worth considering, any opinions for that one too please?

Thanks

Nook Lane are brilliant working with children with autism

We have two (non-autistic) children at Walkley Primary and are really happy with the school. I know that there are also children who attend who have SEN statements for autism, so it is something they deal with. I suppose it might depend on the severity of his symptoms at the end of the day, but fro what I've seen, the SEN team seem really competent, so I would definitely consider putting his name on the waiting list.

Nook lane looks amazing but it's KS2 :(

hillsbrough collage nursery got outstanding this year, they have a few children with problems to, sorry dont know what age your child is

My daughter went to Bradfield Dungworth and I was particularly struck by the caring atmosphere there. The older children seem to genuinely take care of the younger ones. The headteacher has changed since then but most of the staff are the same.

My other experience of primary schools in Sheffield was of Loxley. Perfectly good school that handled my older kids' needs very well but the special atmosphere at BD struck me particularly.

Walkley have long experience of dealing with ASD and have always been very good at integrating affected children within the wider school population. This can be helpful when the move to secondary education appears on the horizon. Some ASD children experience the culture change as a profound shock.

I have no recent experience of Bradfield Dungworth but go and see, and if possible, speak to the parents of other autistic children there. Gather as much first hand information as you can.

The move to secondary should also be considered as provision has become very patchy indeed with support generally being spread very thinly, so throughout your child's primary education it would be wise to keep an eye on the performance of the secondary schools- consult other parents in the same position as yourself.