Wharncliffe Side road closure

Coming home from Hillsborough to Wharncliffe Side this evening I encountered a road closure sign just beyond Oughtibridge with a diversion sign directing me over Jawbone. I followed other motorists up Cockshuts Lane, which drops down into Wharncliffe Side opposite the Wharncliffe Arms. Traffic was building up big style and it seemed there was no way through. So, I did a U-turn and followed the diversion over Jawbone and approached Wharncliffe Side from the other direction - off the Stocksbridge by-pass, only to find the road completely impassable at the More Hall Lane junction. I had to turn back and make my way back to Deepcar and through Bolsterstone, down to Ewden Village and then via twisty lanes onto Brightholmlee Lane. This whole thing was a farce. I was in Hillsborough at 20 past 7 and did not get home until half past eight. How was it that access to Wharncliffe Side was blocked at both ends. Who was the idiot who authorised the closure of this whole stretch of road which made it impossible for Wharncliffe residents to access their houses. If the signs had indicated how far access was possible, it would have helped.

Seems it's all to do with Manchester Road being closed between 7pm and 7am. Bus diversions also in place. Just had to go to another stop. First time I've seen the signs this morning.

Why didnt you just continue over the back lane from cockshutt lane, glenhowe, down brightholmlee? its a pain of a route! but only a 10 minute diversion.

Why didnt you just continue over the back lane from cockshutt lane, glenhowe, down brightholmlee? its a pain of a route! but only a 10 minute diversion.

From Glen Howe to Brightholmlee via Storth Lane?? Was the OP driving a tractor?

At More Hall why go all the way back to Deepcar when you could have gone up the side of the dam?

From Glen Howe to Brightholmlee via Storth Lane?? Was the OP driving a tractor?

At More Hall why go all the way back to Deepcar when you could have gone up the side of the dam?

lol :hihi: No! Owler gate, Raynor sike lane, Bent Hill lane, Brightholmlee Rd...Brightholmelee Lane. Admittedly they are narrow lanes, but no tractor required.

This is where the work was being done and the whole junction was blocked by large waggons with flashing lights on. No way through.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 14:00 ----------

Actually, I'm not very familiar with these roads and, like an idiot, I thought the yellow diversion signs were there to help get me where I needed to be.

This is where the work was being done and the whole junction was blocked by large waggons with flashing lights on. No way through.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 14:00 ----------

Actually, I'm not very familiar with these roads and, like an idiot, I thought the yellow diversion signs were there to help get me where I needed to be.

Ahh, my apologies. I didnt know where the actual blockage was! That will teach me to stick my nose in :)

So where did the Official diversion go, Oughtibridge up Jawbone and then where, Grenoside?

So where did the Official diversion go, Oughtibridge up Jawbone and then where, Grenoside?

The bus diversions are apparently:

Manchester Road will be closed between Vaughton Hill and More Hall Lane from Tuesday 12th April until Wednesday 1st June 2016 (1900–0700 Monday to Friday only) REVISED DATES

A proposed revised Timetable for the Service 57 and SL is currently being compiled, details will be posted shortly.

Service 57 towards Stocksbridge to operate as normal to Church Street then via Langsett Road North, Orchard Street, Oughtibridge Lane, Jawbone Hill, Skew Hill Lane, Salt Box Lane, Penistone Road, A629, A616 Stocksbridge By-Pass, Wortley Road and Vaughton Hill before resuming normal route on Manchester Road.

Service 57 towards Sheffield to operate as normal to Carr Road then via Manchester Road, Vaughton Hill, Wortley Road, A616 Stocksbridge By-Pass, A629, Penistone Road, Salt Box Lane, Skew Hill Lane, Jawbone Hill and Oughtibridge Lane before resuming normal route on Low Road.

Supertram Link towards Stocksbridge to operate as normal to Langsett Road North then via Orchard Street, Oughtibridge Lane, Jawbone Hill, Skew Hill Lane, Salt Box Lane, Penistone Road, A629, A616 Stocksbridge By-Pass, Wortley Road and Vaughton Hill before resuming normal route on Manchester Road.

Supertram Link towards Middlewood to operate as normal to Manchester Road then via Vaughton Hill, Wortley Road, A616 Stocksbridge By-Pass, A629, Penistone Road, Salt Box Lane, Skew Hill Lane, Jawbone Hill and Oughtibridge Lane before resuming normal route on Low Road.

That looks like a route to put some hair on your chest, the sharp right hand bend on Jawbone hill going towards Oughtibridge is an eye-opener from what I remember.

So there will be no public transport serving wharncliffe side.

The road closure last night was not on BBC Travel website for Sheffield

Just spoke to SYPTE who state they know nothing about it, so talked to Stagecoach. They say they think the closure has been postponed until next Tuesday.

But from then until 1st June there will be no public transport serving Wharncliffe Side after 7pm until June 1st.

He stated 'its the stupidest idea I've ever heard of'. And told me to talking to the council.

Edited by beansforyou
adding information

What will happen when 2 buses or 2 hgvs meet at top of jawbone hill and what about the width restriction on Oughtibridge lane?

Surely an easier solution would be to run 57 as limited stop from Leppings Lane to Deepcar (and return) via A61/A629/A616. Then run smaller buses from Hillsborough to Wharncliffe side via Worral and Oughtibridge, then turn them at Wharncliffe side for return to Hillsborough to connect with 57 at Hillsborough Interchange. Or is this idea too simple?