Now should abortion be this illegal.

Nope, it's simply not a child.

Before 8 weeks, embryo..

Even if you don't refer to it as a child and think of it as an embryo and then a foetus, it's stll a potential human being in the stage of development, which is why some regard abortion as destroying a life.

That said, I am in no way condemning anyone who has to make such a difficult decision in desperate circumstances.

I can't help but think that other people's emotions are deeply unhelpful if it's you in the situation of potentially needing to terminate a pregnancy.

I'm with you there. I fail to understand why some people get hung up on a word instead of the termination of life. Killing is a very serious business, rarely undertaken lightly.

So if a feutus is born at 22 weeks and survives it's still a feutus?

Read the definition, if it's UNBORN it's a fetus. The words are all there.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 08:27 ----------

Killing is a very serious business, rarely undertaken lightly.

Nobody said anything about undertaking it likely, not that I've read. :roll:

I fail to understand why some people get hung up on a word

You fail to see why, yet you refuse to actually use the correct word... No, I think you know exactly why people are hung up on words, and you were deliberately misusing them for emotional effect.

Edited by Cyclone

Nowt to do with religion.

Abortion is Clinical Murder.!

Unless by rape or such.

How can anyone Kill a Life?.. :(

How can you kill something which isn't truly alive?

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 12:17 ----------

As per Easter Sundae's post earlier I would most definitely argue against the BMC and NICE cut off point. The current situation just falls into where the rules happen to be at the moment. It's nominal until it changes but that doesn't affect the life in the womb. Termination still results in the death of the child.

I gave you a link to just one story where the "not a child" was born at 22 weeks. It could have been legally terminated at 24 weeks. You don't an intellectual, scientific, or philosophical argument that stands up to a moment's scrutiny that doesn't involve killing a viable child.

It's a very difficult discussion and I don't see any clear answer.

Why not just complete the slippery slope and wind the clock back to the ova. Each one after all is a potential life, that's around 2million lickle babies being murdered for every woman on the planet. Maybe we should be harvesting them all at birth to prevent the loss of 11 thousand a month that are going to die before puberty?

While we are at it lets hook all the men up to some form of electroejaculation contraption to harvest all their semen, we wouldn't want to waste any cos that makes God quite irate.

Edited by barleycorn

Unless by rape or such.

Don't you think it's still "murder" even if the embryo is a result of rape? Why the difference?

How can you kill something which isn't truly alive?

It's your penultimate word which prejudges the conclusion at which you arrive.

I agree that something not alive cannot be killed.

But.

Read the definition, if it's UNBORN it's a fetus. The words are all there.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 08:27 ----------

Nobody said anything about undertaking it likely, not that I've read. :roll:

You fail to see why, yet you refuse to actually use the correct word... No, I think you know exactly why people are hung up on words, and you were deliberately misusing them for emotional effect.

And if it's born and it lives it's a .........

Guest makapaka

It’s right women should be able to have an abortion - I don’t agree that It should be up to 22 weeks.

But aside from medical / assault / disability issues - the only reason people would need one is if they’ve not used birth control and in very few cases because birth control had failed.

I’m still not against it - I just think it’s a sad state of affairs.

And if it's born and it lives it's a .........

And if it grows up and joins the astronauts program and flies into space it's an .....

But it isn't before then is it. So you're talking about foetus, not an astronaut.

---------- Post added 01-06-2018 at 07:35 ----------

It's your penultimate word which prejudges the conclusion at which you arrive.

I agree that something not alive cannot be killed.

But.

Could you kill your finger? Should it be illegal for you to remove it if you want to?

Unless by rape or such.

This demonstrates a frankly appalling lack of thinking skills and a bizarrely distorted set of moral values.

I don't think that it is particularly the Catholic community in NI that has led to the current law.

Certainly not.

While it is true that the Catholic Church is as reactionary as fundamental Protestantism, until the formation of the Assembly in June 1998, Catholics had very little political power (except at some local level).

The present position on abortion is 100% the responsibility of the DUP and the Official Unionists before them.