Now should abortion be this illegal.

But sometimes they fail.

What then ?

I wouldn't have put it like that but in principle I agree. Note that there are exceptions, but abortions have become far too common, and are given on demand, notwithstanding there are certain conditions which are supposed to have been met.

I'd rather women who don't want babies tried very hard to not get pregnant in the first place. There are many forms of contraception which work very well.

Ahh, but your talking about a country that also believes contraception shouldn't be allowed.

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 00:12 ----------

Nowt to do with religion.

Abortion is Clinical Murder.!

Unless by rape or such.

How can anyone Kill a Life?.. :(

So what's your stance on this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

She didn't meet the criteria that would've allowed an abortion. Only the unborn babies life is taken into consideration, not the mother's.

Edited by steroc

I'd rather women who don't want babies tried very hard to not get pregnant in the first place. There are many forms of contraception which work very well.

So would I, but every form of contraception, including both vasectomy and tubal ligation fail in at least 1% of users per year. Do you suggest that someone who has attempted to prevent pregnancy (and done so to the best ability of the limited means available in NI) should then be forced to carry the baby to term?

I have a friend who was on the combined pill and had a stomach upset, so she and her boyfriend took extra precautions with condoms for 10 days as advised. On day 10, they had a condom split so she took the morning after pill.

Imagine her shock when she started having nausea a few weeks later and took a test. Should she have then been forced to carry a baby after making it so abundantly clear that she did not wish to have one? She actually is a scientist at ESA, so even if it was rocket science she would have done it properly- contraception FAILS!!

I have another friend, also a very intelligent lady (a solicitor), who has conceived on literally every long term contraception method available. In my opinion, if you're conceiving with an IUS fitted then there really is nothing more that you could have done to have prevented that baby. Are you really going to suggest that these intelligent women are being cavalier enough to risk getting pregnant because they couldn't be bothered to try hard enough?

When you've answered that one, how are women meant to prevent a pregnancy when they are also unable to access contraception? When they are threatened with being arrested just for receiving information from other countries of the UK about the contraception that would be available to them if they lived in England or Wales?

I understand that the DUP have the Tories over a barrel for a whole selection of issues, but in my opinion it's shameful that so many women are made to pay for this draconian policy on a yearly basis, being prevented from actually taking their own reproductive choices.

Nowt to do with religion.

Abortion is Clinical Murder.!

Unless by rape or such.

How can anyone Kill a Life?.. :(

Let me get this straight. You're saying that abortion is murder unless the pregnancy is due to rape (or such) neither of which is the unborn foetus's fault yet you're willing to allow abortion of those foetuses. A little bit hypocritical don't you think?

Either abortion is murder or it isn't.

Great. Now lots of Irish women can now have abortions, killing innocent lives and call it birth control.

So would I, but every form of contraception, including both vasectomy and tubal ligation fail in at least 1% of users per year. Do you suggest that someone who has attempted to prevent pregnancy (and done so to the best ability of the limited means available in NI) should then be forced to carry the baby to term?

I have a friend who was on the combined pill and had a stomach upset, so she and her boyfriend took extra precautions with condoms for 10 days as advised. On day 10, they had a condom split so she took the morning after pill.

Imagine her shock when she started having nausea a few weeks later and took a test. Should she have then been forced to carry a baby after making it so abundantly clear that she did not wish to have one? She actually is a scientist at ESA, so even if it was rocket science she would have done it properly- contraception FAILS!!

I have another friend, also a very intelligent lady (a solicitor), who has conceived on literally every long term contraception method available. In my opinion, if you're conceiving with an IUS fitted then there really is nothing more that you could have done to have prevented that baby. Are you really going to suggest that these intelligent women are being cavalier enough to risk getting pregnant because they couldn't be bothered to try hard enough?

When you've answered that one, how are women meant to prevent a pregnancy when they are also unable to access contraception? When they are threatened with being arrested just for receiving information from other countries of the UK about the contraception that would be available to them if they lived in England or Wales?

I understand that the DUP have the Tories over a barrel for a whole selection of issues, but in my opinion it's shameful that so many women are made to pay for this draconian policy on a yearly basis, being prevented from actually taking their own reproductive choices.

I think contraception should be available to all women who want it, even in (or especially in) Catholic countries. I believe that is a woman's right, rather than an automatic right to abortion. That said, of course abortion should also be available, I just don't like to see it used as another form of contraception.

I'm sure your friends did indeed do everything possible to avoid conception, thought long and hard about the result, and made a considered decision which I totally respect.

But some women do seem to be a lot more gung ho with regards to contraception, and regard pregnancy as nothing more than a nuisance which is easily dealt with via an abortion. Sometimes several abortions. It is those women I would ask to think again and take more care.

Great. Now lots of Irish women can now have abortions, killing innocent lives and call it birth control.

Yup it's great. Finally they come out of the dark ages into the civilised world.

Do you still believe that men have authority over women's bodies?

How quaint! Do you believe gayness is satanic and all that other weird stuff too?

I think contraception should be available to all women who want it, even in (or especially in) Catholic countries. I believe that is a woman's right, rather than an automatic right to abortion. That said, of course abortion should also be available, I just don't like to see it used as another form of contraception.

I'm sure your friends did indeed do everything possible to avoid conception, thought long and hard about the result, and made a considered decision which I totally respect.

But some women do seem to be a lot more gung ho with regards to contraception, and regard pregnancy as nothing more than a nuisance which is easily dealt with via an abortion. Sometimes several abortions. It is those women I would ask to think again and take more care.

I'm sure that there is a small minority of women who have multiple abortions as a form of birth control, and I agree with you that this is something that should be educated out of existence.

I also believe that these women are very much in a minority, and that denying these women abortions is very much the wrong thing to do, as the chances of this same group of women taking steps to care for a baby they may be forced to carry are not high either. The answer is education and working out how this can be prevented by discussing the situation with these women, rather than trying to legislate for a very small group of women and applying it to cover the vast majority, for whom a termination is very much a choice taken in extremis.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that abortion is murder unless the pregnancy is due to rape (or such) neither of which is the unborn foetus's fault yet you're willing to allow abortion of those foetuses. A little bit hypocritical don't you think?

Either abortion is murder or it isn't.

When you put it like that..Then Yes. On any count, Abortion is Murder.

Abortion is the killing of a Human Being.

Nothing more nothing less.

How this stacks up Morally in certain circumstances, Different kettle of fish.

A foetus isn't a person so no matter how repellant you may find it, it is not murder.

Do you still believe that men have authority over women's bodies?

How quaint! Do you believe gayness is satanic and all that other weird stuff too?

I actually think that this issue is women only and the referendum should have been a women only vote.

Edited by Guest