White British Pupils lagging behind ethnic minority

Well what I do know is that many people who come to Britain from countries where education is valued instil that value in their children. Nothing wrong with that. I just wished more British parents were as keen for their children, and saw school as a bit more than a convenient babysitter for their kids while they go out to work

I just wonder why some children and their parents don't value learning....

Edited by Mister M

The thing that doesn't make sense is this. Up the age of 5, the children are truly world class in development. Then it goes off a cliff into worse than mediocrity by the time GCSE arrives. Have parents suddenly decided that education is pointless?

The thing that doesn't make sense is this. Up the age of 5, the children are truly world class in development. Then it goes off a cliff into worse than mediocrity by the time GCSE arrives. Have parents suddenly decided that education is pointless?

If you read the report they don't go over the cliff, they are fractionally bellow average. The vast majority of groups are clustered just above or below average. The only significant variance is Chinese and Indian kids on the high side and roma and irish gypsy kids on the low side.

Guest sibon
If you read the report they don't go over the cliff, they are fractionally bellow average. The vast majority of groups are clustered just above or below average. The only significant variance is Chinese and Indian kids on the high side and roma and irish gypsy kids on the low side.

Measuring progress is next to impossible too. Certainly not accurate enough to be confident in such small differences.

Well what I do know is that many people who come to Britain from countries where education is valued instil that value in their children. Nothing wrong with that. I just wished more British parents were as keen for their children, and saw school as a bit more than a convenient babysitter for their kids while they go out to work

"Swot", "teacher's pet", "know-all", "smart arse", "clever clogs". Anti-learning is firmly embedded in white British culture so this is not very surprising, sad to say.

Statistics! The reason for failure in all public sector services. NHS, police, schools, you name it.

Many kids from BME backgrounds have some catching up to do at an early age due to coming from households where English is not used as a first language. On the radio a while ago I heard about some research that found that the catch-up period is quite quick, which may explain why BME kids start behind white kids but then overtake them.

"Swot", "teacher's pet", "know-all", "smart arse", "clever clogs". Anti-learning is firmly embedded in white British culture so this is not very surprising, sad to say.

This certainly for poorer kids and definately for boys.

This certainly for poorer kids and definately for boys.

I think it goes right through the class system tfh. Anti intellectualism runs right throughout British society.

For a couple of reasons I didn't do well at school at all. Thankfully when I did realise the value of education, in my 20s, further education was still accessible as a mature student. It isn't anymore, like it was.

Although we are living longer, and retiring at an older age; the emphasis nowadays seems to be further education is for 16 -19 year olds; and higher education up until your mid 20s (beyond that is less common, save for PhD or research students). And that is depressing.

It's such a shame that as people change their careers much more than they ever did, there isn't an education system that reflects and supports this.

Old wives tales. Your mother doesn't know best. You shouldn't question the teacher or contradict. You are here to learn not debate a point. You slum kids.

Anti working class language aimed at putting down those who want to take an active part in education.

When 25% of the population come out of an education system without being able to read and write properly enough to get a job there is something wrong with the system.

Change the system, not the child. The child will change itself given the chance.

There have been changes over the years and for my grandchildren things look a lot better. Most education is down to attitude and people who have been treated badly have memories that they hand on to their children.

Also if a parent has been unable to succeed academically how can they help a child with home work. Personally speaking, though I now have a degree, trying to help my daughters with reading was a nightmare as my own early problems were deeply imprinted in my psyche. Likewise with school communications. Bad experiences are handed down generation on generation unless we can find intervention methods that parents can have confidence in.

There are schemes now where parents who have had bad education, Northern College is one place I know of, where adults can improve their basic education as well as do other interesting stuff such as various computer skills etc.

From what I heard of this report it was a measure of average progress. Taking that into account, people who start with a disadvantage and get special help to overcome it, such as students with no or very little English are going to make the most progress. They start from the back so they have more ground to be measured as covered. children who arrive at school with well developed vocal spatial and cognitive skills have less ground to cover and be measured. Not long ago the government was trying to get children to start from a more even base at reception level by providing learning spaces for young children before school. Unsurprisingly most of these spaces were taken up by well informed, well educated, confident Middle Class parents. Why were the Health Visitors not successful in being able to get the less advantaged into these spaces? Possibly because they were middle class well educated and confident, therefore somewhat intimidating, in the main, to the poor, uneducated, undernourished tired mothers they were supposed to be helping.

Edited by Margarita Ma
punctuation.

White British kids have been struggling for a long time now, I've said it on a few threads on here although I've always been shouted down as wrong, my reason is pretty simple and obvious, teachers and classroom assistants are too busy with the kids that don't speak English very well.