Selling gold in sheffield

we sold some in meadowhall to F. Hinds we too were happy with price and money there and then. we needed proof of id and a utility bill.

You never get back what you pay for jewellery as it includes labour costs, profit etc. unless it is rare or antique...

what is it you are wanting to sell?

Hi yes looking at prices for sovereign necklace, gold necklace with fob and a gold emerald ring.

Hi yes looking at prices for sovereign necklace, gold necklace with fob and a gold emerald ring.

Check prices for similar on Ebay but they also charge for selling. Jewellers might be your best bet

Took a white gold charm bracelet to Chapel Jewellers last week that I bought my mum from a reputable jewellers a few years ago. The lad in the shop took it in the back to test and came back saying they weren't interested as it was gold plated.

I had a look and it was fully hallmarked by Sheffield assay office and told him where I bought it from. He told me to ignore the hallmarks as 'you can buy hallmarking stuff off ebay' and he was quite rude.

I was taken aback so took it somewhere else who tested it (as 9ct gold plus one 18ct charm) and paid me £210 scrap value.

I've also had a look on ebay and whilst you can buy stamps that mark metal as 9ct there is no way anyone can sell assay office marking equipment.

Strange and I don't think I will bother Chapel again.

Don't ask Gordon Brown ... he sells gold for as little as he can get

Took a white gold charm bracelet to Chapel Jewellers last week that I bought my mum from a reputable jewellers a few years ago. The lad in the shop took it in the back to test and came back saying they weren't interested as it was gold plated.

I had a look and it was fully hallmarked by Sheffield assay office and told him where I bought it from. He told me to ignore the hallmarks as 'you can buy hallmarking stuff off ebay' and he was quite rude.

I was taken aback so took it somewhere else who tested it (as 9ct gold plus one 18ct charm) and paid me £210 scrap value.

I've also had a look on ebay and whilst you can buy stamps that mark metal as 9ct there is no way anyone can sell assay office marking equipment.

Strange and I don't think I will bother Chapel again.

Where did you go in the end?

Keep it, gold is still going up in price! but if you do need to sell, avoid those cash 4 gold places like the plague. maybe worth trying to sell privately or list on gumtree.

Keep it, gold is still going up in price! but if you do need to sell, avoid those cash 4 gold places like the plague. maybe worth trying to sell privately or list on gumtree.

Where do you get that idea from?, gold has crashed in the last 3 years or so losing over 600 dollars an ounce.

http://goldprice.org/gold-price-history.html

Edited by neptunebar

Depends on when you bought it....

Gold crashed in late 2011 and has not made any significant move upwards and the statement that gold is on the up at the moment is not true choose when you bought it, it may be worth more than when you bought it but that is a different subject anyone who bought gold up to four and a half years ago will not make a profit on it's value as of today and many have lost up to 30% on it.

Don't ask Gordon Brown ... he sells gold for as little as he can get

Don't forget that he announced he was going to do it before hand to help push the price down.

I'd hang him and blair as traitors.

Did youn otice that they pulled him out of semi-obscurity to betray Scotland too.

I had very good service at P A Jewellery, they gave me the best price for my old engagement ring and a dress ring.