Spotted cockatiel type bird S9

Bird spotted around Littledale playing field today around 10.00. Unsure regarding breed but in distance appeared greyish, long tail, piercing call.

It's probably a ring necked parakeet. There's one or two been spotted in the Sheffield area. They are successful breeders in London and the south east and are becoming a pest.

There's something Magpie sized but completely different call flying round Norton Lees. Got a long tail just like a magpie, but call sounds almost like a peacock. Only seen it at dusk so no idea what colour.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

There's something Magpie sized but completely different call flying round Norton Lees. Got a long tail just like a magpie, but call sounds almost like a peacock. Only seen it at dusk so no idea what colour.

I think I've seen something similar, black and blue in colour.

It's probably a ring necked parakeet. There's one or two been spotted in the Sheffield area. They are successful breeders in London and the south east and are becoming a pest.

There are thousands of them now in the south east,they are green in colour though not grey!.I saw one in the wild a few years ago whilst driving off the A1 onto the M18 south,it flew across my windscreen from the grass verge!.I read in a newspaper article that they are working their way north little by little,they are a nice looking bird but very noisy always squawking loudly in flight and roosting!.

Slightly off topic, but I saw a swift yesterday, seems very early in the year for them to return, hope it's a sign of good weather

My sis saw a ring necked parakeet a few weeks ago in High Green, They are getting more widespread now . Their call is very squeaky, sounds a bit like a squeaky toy!

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 10:12 ----------

Slightly off topic, but I saw a swift yesterday, seems very early in the year for them to return, hope it's a sign of good weather

Wow! I don't want to doubt you but are you sure it was a swift? I saw my first swallow a couple of days ago but they are always the earliest. Swifts arrive much later. If it was a swift, that is very early!

I think I've seen something similar, black and blue in colour.

Have a look at pictures on RSPB website- could be a Jay. Native, common but very secretive so when people see it they think it's something quite exotic.

Will add to description of bird I've seen, flight is very up and down almost painting a sine wave.

the bird has been round littledale for a long time .First saw it on my garage roof it is a peacock

There has been a green ring necked parakeet at out warehouse.

It sits on the wing mirror of the lorrys and watches itself.

I thought I was seeing things the first time I saw it

There has been a green ring necked parakeet at out warehouse.

It sits on the wing mirror of the lorrys and watches itself.

I thought I was seeing things the first time I saw it

Don't know where you are but there has been a small number of ring necked parakeets beteen Killamarsh and Halfway for some years, first brought to my attention when a driver stopped his tram after leaving Halfway and asking the passengers if they'd seen the green birds that had just flown by his cab.

I think they are under threat though because on a number of occasions I've seen someone trying to catch them by laying bait and throwing a net over any parrakeets that land, usually in open areas of woodland near Rother Valley Park.

they are now crossing pigeons with parrotts so they can talk there way home if they get lost