Made in Sheffield RIP

Sheffields main Industry is now producing University students as well as building the flats to house them.

When they return to their home Countries and put the engineering skills learned in our City to use will that skill be stamped made in Sheffield.

We have sat on our hands too long and let successive governments oversee the de-industrialisation of the west. Without the necessary knowledge and skills, how can we ever hope to produce a range of product that we could sell?

I keep hearing that we can still produce that 'special' product, eg special steels, that the world needs, as though other countries were incapable of doing so.

India produces 500,000 engineers per year, China produces 1 million.

The UK has 100,000 engineering vacancies per year. The UK produces 50,000.

Go figure.

Source

all well and good when those same companies don't want to train local people and then times that by the numerous other companies doing the same and you wonder why we don't have enough skilled people:roll:

all well and good when those same companies don't want to train local people and then times that by the numerous other companies doing the same and you wonder why we don't have enough skilled people:roll:

Precisely my point.

Its all to late now,the Governments since Thatcher have favored Banks, and look where that as got us.

East Coast rail the only one of the rail companies making a profit and nationally owned. Sold to private investors we wait with baited breath. I suggest the usual will happen. If a nationalised company makes a profit the money is ploughed back in. If it loses money, or not in this case, it's sold to private investors usually at less than market value and immediately subsidised. If it makes a profit that is given to the shareholders as a dividend, if it makes a loss it's given a hand out by the government so as not to upset the shareholders.

The bankers got bailed out no messing, where's the bailout for our steel workers it makes me bitter after the steel industry killed my dad the government has shafted the steel workers again, if you get dirty at work the politicians don't give a toss

The bankers got bailed out no messing, where's the bailout for our steel workers it makes me bitter after the steel industry killed my dad the government has shafted the steel workers again, if you get dirty at work the politicians don't give a toss

Those attitudes go back a long time, Churchill called miners " the great unwashed". Then Thatcher decided to CLEAN them out, some years later.

The rot started with the propaganda campaign in 1973 for a Common Market , which was promised to bolster our manufacturing economy. This EU was proposed by America as a way of controlling the countries in Europe and was forced through with our vote by Ted Heath, who incidentally was awarded Morning Cloud by the Americans for his 'Treason' to the state.

This of course over the years has grown into the EU , who have not produced accounts for its entire existence and who control where major Government contracts go, ie the Thameslink Train contract of 2012 which was given to Seimens ,Germany.

I cant see Germany or France giving away major contracts that are funded by their taxpayers.

So we need to exit the EU and try to regain some of our manufacturing industry.

However the way the country is porgressing I doubt whether we have the skills anymore from the younger generation.

This current government doesn't give a toss about the normal working persons, they think, im alright Jack, and don't have to live on poor wages and struggle as some people do, who have children as well.

50 pence an hour, a step up ? its disgusting, I expect those struggling on minimum pay, must be planning great things to do with this magnificent pay rise . . . . right !

Paying more for food, running a car, child costs, rise in household fuel costs, and a multitude of other things, that crop up. Mr Cameron, sir.

I would love to challenge you, to live for 6 months,on job seekers allowance, in a near slum like property, and see how he would feel after the reality sets in, he would never survive, for a month, let alone 6 months ! ! ! !

Industry in Sheffield has been destroyed, massive job losses, financial devastation for many families.

I worked with people with disabilities, and life can be more than difficult and challenging for them, in so many ways, without taking money in benefits, away from them, so disgusting, I hope one day he wakes up and smells the coffee, but I doubt he and his henchmen ever will, " IM ALRIGHT JACK "

...So we need to exit the EU and try to regain some of our manufacturing industry...
We certainly need to leave this big swindle. With any luck the referendum in June will have this result, though so far it's hard to say which way it will go. But a couple of points regarding steel...

Firstly, a decade or so ago there was such strong demand for steel that manhole covers and grates, for example, were being stolen for their scrap value, most of them apparently being shipped out to the Far East. According to this Wikipedia article, in 2004 almost 200 were stolen in one London borough alone. Then came the recession of 2008-09 (caused by greedy bankers if the truth be told) and then the slowdown in the Chinese economy. The world price of steel then collapsed.

Secondly, we spent 100+ years showing the rest of the world how to make steel. Now they can produce it cheaper than we can make it. :|

The rot started with the propaganda campaign in 1973 for a Common Market , which was promised to bolster our manufacturing economy. This EU was proposed by America as a way of controlling the countries in Europe and was forced through with our vote by Ted Heath, who incidentally was awarded Morning Cloud by the Americans for his 'Treason' to the state.

This of course over the years has grown into the EU , who have not produced accounts for its entire existence and who control where major Government contracts go, ie the Thameslink Train contract of 2012 which was given to Seimens ,Germany.

I cant see Germany or France giving away major contracts that are funded by their taxpayers.

So we need to exit the EU and try to regain some of our manufacturing industry.

However the way the country is porgressing I doubt whether we have the skills anymore from the younger generation.

not knocking your post here but siemans won the contract over bombardier I wonder why our gov let that happen :suspect:

We do not own any car plants in this country apart from Morgan. All car plants are foreign owned and certainly majority of components are imported , leaving us as a pure assembly country working for basic wages.

Look how the economy would be revitalised, if we manufactured using UK companies all the car components needed , from steel , forging , machining to finishing, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs.

An exit from the EU , would give us the power to legislate in this direction.

Apart from severing our energy resource ie coal fuel , and closing all pits, now importing all our needs , Thatcher abolished import Tax on goods , further reducing our ability to compete.