Please help to save Handsworth Workingmens Club

29 pubs are closing a week in the UK,people cannot afford to go out drinking most nights like they used to do,if it is making a profit i expect they would keep it open,where i live there is two pubs one as been knocked down and they are building flats,the other the locals put up some money i think it was twenty thousand to keep it open,most nights they or five or so in it,and that includes the bar staff.

29 pubs are closing a week in the UK,people cannot afford to go out drinking most nights like they used to do,if it is making a profit i expect they would keep it open,where i live there is two pubs one as been knocked down and they are building flats,the other the locals put up some money i think it was twenty thousand to keep it open,most nights they or five or so in it,and that includes the bar staff.
It IS making a profit. Unfortunately the value of the site, with planning permission for flats, is roughly triple the value of the site as a going concern without planning permission. There is no long-term view. It is simply get in, make a quick profit and get out.

Soon there wont be clubs of any sort as there is no need for them anymore. The generations that use these clubs are dying and not being replaced by the younger generations as they are not bothered about these places.

Move some bats in upstairs

....The register also states employment by Oscbar Ltd and Bardau Ltd, neither of which are found by Google. Strange!....

The following details are from Companies House:

Oscbar Limited

Company number 07573400

Registered office address

14 West Street, Beighton, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S20 1EP

Company status

Active

Company type

Private limited Company

Incorporated on

22 March 2011

Nature of business (SIC)

46342 - Wholesale of wine, beer, spirits and other alcoholic beverages

68209 - Other letting and operating of own or leased real estate

Bardau Limited does not exist

Just found what it is.

Bardav Limited

Company number 05365056

14 West Street, Beighton, Sheffield, S20 1EP

Company status

Active

Company type

Private limited Company

Incorporated on

15 February 2005

Nature of business (SIC)

Edited by Scutts
New information

The following details are from Companies House:

Oscbar Limited

Company number 07573400

14 West Street, Beighton, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S20 1EP

Company status

Active

Company type

Private limited Company

Incorporated on

22 March 2011

Nature of business (SIC)

Bardau Limited does not exist

Just found what it is.

Bardav Limited

Company number 05365056

14 West Street, Beighton, Sheffield, S20 1EP

Company status

Active

Company type

Private limited Company

Incorporated on

15 February 2005

Nature of business (SIC)

Many thanks for your research. Useful information. The address (14, West Street, Beighton) is that of Club Baize which, I think, is owned by Peter Thomas Eyre, so possibly another link between a councillor (Paul Wood) and the owner of Holme Lea. Edited by rodnreeluk

It IS making a profit. Unfortunately the value of the site, with planning permission for flats, is roughly triple the value of the site as a going concern without planning permission. There is no long-term view. It is simply get in, make a quick profit and get out.

No one wants working mens clubs anymore. They were traditionally clubs that were past down from generation to generation but if members cant convince their children to bring their families then the clubs are doomed.

They are never gonna get new members because (in my experience) working mens clubs are intimidating, uninviting and outdated.

If they were viable business models then they wouldnt be closing down on a week by week.

Edited by AmourDesign

No one wants working mens clubs anymore. They were traditionally clubs that were past down from generation to generation but if members cant convince their children to bring their families then they the clubs are doomed.

They are never gonna get new members because (in my experience) working mens clubs are intimidated, uninviting and outdated.

If they were viable business models then they wouldnt be closing down on a weekly basis.

You obviously haven't read the thread properly. It is now a pub called Holme Lea. A lot of pubs are also closing down. How does that equate with your argument about clubs? Personally I have never found Workingmens clubs to be intimidating, uninviting or outdated but must admit I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere now it is a pub (no doormen, no signing-in, no subscription fees).

If this Bryan Lodge is up to no good in his position as a councillor, then good on you for attempting to expose his activities. But, be careful in what you say or write.

As for building new homes, isn’t this what is desperately needed. There are enough threads on Sheffield forum complaining about high rents and lack of housing. Surely the more homes that are built the better it is. Certainly more benefit than a pub or club.

Edited by Dr Afzal

You obviously haven't read the thread properly. It is now a pub called Holme Lea. A lot of pubs are also closing down. How does that equate with your argument about clubs? Personally I have never found Workingmens clubs to be intimidating, uninviting or outdated but must admit I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere now it is a pub (no doormen, no signing-in, no subscription fees).

I lived near this club and the smaller one, on st Josephs rd I think, as a 30+ woman I attempted to join as I had moved to Sheffield. I did find it intimidating and uninviting to say the least. In fact they just kept blanking my application and blanking me even though I am an upstanding, hardworking professional woman. So to my way of thinking these places have dug their own graves by being outdated and selective to the extent they have lost the younger generation through their stuffyness.

You should come down to the Holme Lea. No memebership is required and everyone is welcome. The club on st joesphs road is a little clicky

You should come down to the Holme Lea. No memebership is required and everyone is welcome. The club on st joesphs road is a little clicky

I`m afraid that I would not want to be a member of any club that would consider having someone like me as one of their members.