CCTV recommendations and advice - No advertising/jobs/quotes

I remember them telling me the same thing some years back but after seeing loads of CCTV with no warnings i looked into it and its not a legal requirement.

:)

well I have cameras around the house and they take in a full view of my house front and back and yes they capture other peoples house but are not aimed at them directly ............If they don`t like it .Tough.............In fact my cctv cought someone trying to break into someones house..........xxx

Edited by sand_dollars

I have the Swann 4000 and love it. The camera image is clear, the manual written in good English and the whole thing was simple to setup and install single-handed. For ~£400, it's peace of mind, plus the web-based viewing and automatic emailing reassure me.

A friend (he's a cop) also recommended to spend "about a grand" for a better system, but he also noted that most things a thief would take wouldn't cost you that to replace or cover the excess, so only worth the money if you really want to catch the person. Obviously even the best CCTV is stuffed when you wear a mask, so for me it's more of a deterrent than prevention.

Try this company.

http://www.cctvfactory.co.uk/

He's a really good mate of mine. His business has been going for about a year and a half now and feedback so far has been great. Ask for Andy (the owner) and say Dan Holder put you in touch.

You'll get good honest advice and the quality of the kit is great.

Can't fault remote PTZ IP cameras if you have a portable device with internet access, such as a smart phone or a tablet.

Really easy to set up and use, and super secure as it alarms you of any breaches, either by text or sending you snapshot emails when motion is detected.

You could be sat on a beach in Spain and still guard your property.

I bought one of these about 15 months ago from Maplin - £149

The DVR itself is simple to use , the camera is crap. I bought two of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/day-and-night-420tvl-ccd-outdoor-camera-517242 which are pretty good night/day cameras

Also had an old B/W camera with audio (scart connectivity but connected it using custom cable) to capture front door thats covered by security light

If I was doing this all over again, I'd probably pick a DVR from Ebay with exact specific features I would now want from a CCTV DVR.

Edited by martynh99

I'm also thinking bout getting CCTV but I'm totally crap at DIY does anyone no company's that install at reasonable prices ???

I'm looking at ip cameras? , i have to admit someone close to me has had 3 dome cameras attached to the outside of the property and they look appalling. Each one has a grey box,i assume for the wires and a dome that looks the size of a small football.

(the thing is they're in an area where there's been 1 burglary in 7 years)

Picked this one up in town a few weeks back, at the higher price Grrrr.

Fantastic bit of kit, cameras are superb!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-4-camera-8-channel-cctv-system-with-internet-smartphone-viewing-589999

That looks ideal but someone on previous page said swann cameras arnt much good

Picked this one up in town a few weeks back, at the higher price Grrrr.

Fantastic bit of kit, cameras are superb!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-4-camera-8-channel-cctv-system-with-internet-smartphone-viewing-589999

Same camera's as that kit on ebay for £15 each, night vision on them is very poor.