CCTV recommendations and advice - No advertising/jobs/quotes

I think standard cameras are better. The only advantage of dome cameras is that nobody will figure out where the cameras are pointing.

next time your in Maplins, have a look which cameras they use to protect their stock - it won`t be any made by Swann.

friend of mines involved with these people

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/?gclid=CKaq4bidjrUCFTDMtAodORsAqA

far better quality and support.

That website is garbage

Half the links dont work.

I think that before you post questions like this, make sure you provide more details such as your needs or wants regarding the matter. Anyway, regarding your question, dome cameras are better.

trade version of same camera, better chipset, digitally adjusts for low light etc

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Twilight-FLD-%252d-High-Resolution-700TVL-Vandal-IR-Dome.html

How much can you expect to see with a camera like this?

I mean in terms of detail and stuff, like could you see someone's face well at 10 paces?

I have bought a good one from Maplins, and the same one was on offer at Makro the other week. Its a Swann, 2x pro 560 cameras and a recorder. Picture is colour in day time an turns to black and white at night. 600 tv lines for a decent picture. Cost me £250.00.

We got ours from maplins brilliant service too .......and have caught a few little tinkers in the act ...........As long as you put a sign in your window letting ppl know you have cctv ( you can google the signs and print them of ) your acting within the law.........x

We got ours from maplins brilliant service too .......and have caught a few little tinkers in the act ...........As long as you put a sign in your window letting ppl know you have cctv ( you can google the signs and print them of ) your acting within the law.........x

You dont need any signs to be still acting within the law.

You dont need any signs to be still acting within the law.

Well just going on what the police advised us to do............x

Edited by sand_dollars

you can buy a 4 channel dvr that will do all you need for around £180 no need for rip off prices. perfectly adequate cameras for it from £80 each, just needs a power supply and an av cable between the camera and DVR (which plugs into the mains)

cheap 2nd hand monitor/pc monitor with vga lead to the dvr and away you go.

my setup with 2 cameras and hard drive dvr that can be networked cost less than £400 and took a couple of hrs fitting.

I remember them telling me the same thing some years back but after seeing loads of CCTV with no warnings i looked into it and its not a legal requirement.

:)

The police have no idea.

But it was on the radio news this morning that there is likely to be controls published that prevent domestic CCTV systems from snooping on neighbours or 'inappropriate use'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10109384/CCTV-new-controls-on-private-security-cameras-to-stop-homeowners-snooping-on-neighbours.html

My CCTV covers my drive, and a small bit of the neighbour's. How 'inappropriate' that is I have no idea, and I doubt anybody could legislate for it sufficiently. If any neighbour wants to point their camera at our cars then good.

The police have no idea.

But it was on the radio news this morning that there is likely to be controls published that prevent domestic CCTV systems from snooping on neighbours or 'inappropriate use'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10109384/CCTV-new-controls-on-private-security-cameras-to-stop-homeowners-snooping-on-neighbours.html

My CCTV covers my drive, and a small bit of the neighbour's. How 'inappropriate' that is I have no idea, and I doubt anybody could legislate for it sufficiently. If any neighbour wants to point their camera at our cars then good.

Already is and has been for years now. R.I.P.A? Government guideline that domestic CCTV should not invade privacy of others, should not be directed at other property and should focus only on yours.

Already is and has been for years now. R.I.P.A? Government guideline that domestic CCTV should not invade privacy of others, should not be directed at other property and should focus only on yours.

Well, at least you used a question mark which is like the policeman scratching his head when he says he thinks it shouldn't point at other people's property.

R.I.P.A. applies to Local Authorities, and does not apply to domestic CCTV situations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118173/local-authority-england-wales.pdf

The Telegraph article states that "There are currently no rules governing the use of private CCTV cameras. With security systems becoming cheaper, and hundreds of thousands of properties thought to have some form of camera system, Whitehall sources said complaints about privacy were growing more common."

There is probably need for some clarification.