GKR Karate , An Incident and a Warning

Thats just horrible!

If you ever pass by AFK, feel free to call in and have a go.

However, we wont be asking you to teach for us just yet ;)

Haha. To be honest as much as I do love martial arts ( I have done karate, kickboxing. Mma and msma) I don't think I would ever go back to teaching. Yes there is a great sense of achievement when one of your students achieves their next grade knowing you have helped them get there but especially within GKR it comes at a cost and that cost being your own training. I was in classes Monday through Friday if I wasn't teaching I was training but there was never any time for any progression on your own training really because even training you wore the instructor belt and if a student asked you to show the. Something you were expected to stop what you were practicing to help them and they started letting students into the instructor training sessions which a lot of us did not agree with because we did have quiet a lot of contact at our own dodgers soon me personally I ended up with a black eyes, cracked ribs and bruised ribs. For the instructors that is fine because we asked for contact since it does prepare you for real life scenarios but the parents are all under the impression that their is a strict no contact rule so if their child goes home with black eyes or cracked ribs the instructor personally would have been the one to be sued therefore we had to stop contact with again held back our training.

The rm that go rid of me is gone now. Don't get me wrong GKR do have a handful of excellent black belt instructors but they are few and far between. I would go back but as a student pnly and only to certain instructors

I was at a friends house earlier and a GKR representative called at the house, he was the slickest most polished salesman I have ever heard and he literally bombarded my friend into submission on her own doorstep. He was extremely pushy and was probing her for way too much personal information, in the end my OH had to intervene and send him on his way, my friend was left drained by it all, it was quite unpleasant.

It is horrible. That's the reason I failed as an sdc because I am not naturally like that and I responded as I would expect a cold caller at my door. I read the script and if I got an appointment great if they said they were not interested I just said ok thank you for your time and walked away. I don't see the need to pressure soomeone into something they don't want to do. None of the sdc@a would like it if the shoe was on the other foot

He simply wouldnt take no for an answer and he never paused for a break, no matter what she said he was on it in an instant. It started with an offer of some leaflets but it soon became apparent he had no intention of handing any over and used the excuse that he had none on him but would drop some off later as an excuse to come back for a second time tonight, thats when he started asking all the personal questions. Listening to it I would have been a little intimidated by him had it been me he was harassing.

Yes it's a script that every sdc for gkr around the world has to learn and follow and the way they work is ridiculous. If they are in a car they are not allowed to take anything but bens and appointment sheets with them to prevent them from handing it over on the door step. I hated the job and after a week a started to wonder why I was doing it. It was costing me money to do the job and I wasn't earning anything because I don't believe in pressuring people.

I had one of these Muppets knock on my door, thought it would be good fun to let him finish his sales pitch, and then I started with the questions. Needless to say he didn’t know much about martial arts.

They have set up at Marcliffe School, not sure if it’s Hillsborough or Wisewood area.

These are currently door knocking around Wybourn as they are due to start a new session at Manor Lane.

Pushy salesman just knocked on my door too just now !! Tried to get some details from me as I was interested for a family member at another address. I didn't give him any information but asked him for a leaflet and I said I would pass this on but reading this I don't think I will bother now .

I can't believe what I'm reading about GKR. It's awful. I seem to hear more and more negative comments. All clubs need to drum up business but the instructors should all be qualified and at least a black belt. Instructors should also train themselves. Students should learn from instructors who have knowledge and achieved high recognition in their art. The focus should be on the true spirit and standard of their martial art first.

At Excel we offer anyone who potentially wants to start out or come back to martial arts 2 free sessions to help them get a taste of how we can help. We run demos to show the abilities of our students and instructors etc.