GKR Karate , An Incident and a Warning

I went for an interview with GKR after seeing adverts for a 'Self defense consultant'. Opportunity to earn a lot of money, free karate training and the chance to work up to a higher position within a few years - general gist of what was on offer.

As with a few people it seems, I experienced the same sort of thing in relation to being shown 30 minutes basic, poorly handled karate by black belt (debatable) instructors. Then a lengthy break before being shunted into a side room to watch a video about how GKR was set up. Then followed the pyramid selling information. Basically the only earnings were your commission for signing people up to GKR.

Problem is, if you knocked on someones door offering them the services, and they didn't want it, you were up poo poo creak without a paddle or toilet paper!! Deposit would have been required for the kit and no official forms were ever presented at any time to suggest anything they said or did was indeed accurate or above board. Very shady!!

I'm surprised infact that GKR Karate (Think that's their name??) here on the forum hasn't replied to this thread...

As above, same experience. Black belt karate instructor that didn't look or show anything that convinced me he was legit and could even handle my little sister.

I went for an interview with GKR after seeing adverts for a 'Self defense consultant'. Opportunity to earn a lot of money, free karate training and the chance to work up to a higher position within a few years - general gist of what was on offer.

As with a few people it seems, I experienced the same sort of thing in relation to being shown 30 minutes basic, poorly handled karate by black belt (debatable) instructors. Then a lengthy break before being shunted into a side room to watch a video about how GKR was set up. Then followed the pyramid selling information. Basically the only earnings were your commission for signing people up to GKR.

Problem is, if you knocked on someones door offering them the services, and they didn't want it, you were up poo poo creak without a paddle or toilet paper!! Deposit would have been required for the kit and no official forms were ever presented at any time to suggest anything they said or did was indeed accurate or above board. Very shady!!

I'm surprised infact that GKR Karate (Think that's their name??) here on the forum hasn't replied to this thread...

I would also like to add that on occassions when I had signed people up, if they decided in the next few days/weeks that they had changed their minds then I would be the one to refund their money. This left me out of pocket after hours of canvassing work. If we complained to the instructors we were told "tough luck".

These types of clubs and organisations prey on weak people.. if that offends anyone ,I apologies.. what they teach is utter crap and has nothing to do with self protection. There are way too many clubs around who's only concern is the money they make, keep away from these types of places... you will spend a lot of money whilst feeding the instructors ego... and learning **** all...

These types of clubs and organisations prey on weak people.. if that offends anyone ,I apologies.. what they teach is utter crap and has nothing to do with self protection. There are way too many clubs around who's only concern is the money they make, keep away from these types of places... you will spend a lot of money whilst feeding the instructors ego... and learning **** all...

Well said Craig!

There are plenty of good karate clubs in sheffield.

Marsdens in Hillsborough teach a good mix of karate and kickboxing

For Kickboxing of course there is AFK (i would say that lol) but also Kapap which teach a mixture of Kickboxing, BJJ,MMA and self protection and for Muay Thai there are 2 good clubs Thanapron and Wicker.

Try them all and take your pick.

Well said Craig!

There are plenty of good karate clubs in sheffield.

Marsdens in Hillsborough teach a good mix of karate and kickboxing

For Kickboxing of course there is AFK (i would say that lol) but also Kapap which teach a mixture of Kickboxing, BJJ,MMA and self protection and for Muay Thai there are 2 good clubs Thanapron and Wicker.

Try them all and take your pick.

"plenty" please list em coz on the whole i think karate i pretty poor in Sheffield compared to other major cities.

The ones I train and trained with are good

1. Stan Knighton.. Shukokai

2. Simon Golland.. Gojo Ryu

"plenty" please list em coz on the whole i think karate i pretty poor in Sheffield compared to other major cities.

Obviously theres also your club then theres Simon Gollands Goju Karate.

Other than that you are right, everyone in sheffield seems to want to do MMA or Thai/kickboxing or just Box.

Either that or they walk around in Tapout T shirts , pump a few weights and give everyone dirty looks and tell people they are a "Cage Fighter" :hihi:

The ones I train and trained with are good

1. Stan Knighton.. Shukokai

2. Simon Golland.. Gojo Ryu

1) Trained with Stan Knighton some time ago... he is a very good Martial Artist.

2) Also trained with Simon and his instructor (Graham Ravey.) Very dedicated and very good!

http://www.togka.com/

If you want to try Karate or any other MA try a few clubs and see what you think. Simple really.

1) Trained with Stan Knighton some time ago... he is a very good Martial Artist.

2) Also trained with Simon and his instructor (Graham Ravey.) Very dedicated and very good!

http://www.togka.com/

If you want to try Karate or any other MA try a few clubs and see what you think. Simple really.

Yes thats true, how are you anyhows old pal?

You coming to the Show next saturday? Guys from Marsdens are fighting , this time theyre fighting with Low Kicks!!!

I realise I am late finding this but I feel the need to reply.

I am an ex employee of GKR. I have yet to see anything false in this post. I started training with them in Leeds in 2006 as a kid but was forced to leave due to moving to Doncaster. 6 years after leaving I rejoined GKR as an SDC in liverpool and was not at any point until I got the job was I made aware it was commission. I was also not told I had to purchase a uniform which considering you are put on a one month trial I think this is out of order because if you are not bringing in at least 10 members a week you are sacked so you are out £35. I was kept on as an instructor and to those who are part of GKR you clearly know nothing if you don't think that the instructors for the most part are no higher that 1st kyu. I know this because I was only an orange belt when I started teaching and I was never made a sempai. 2 days after passing the STP I was put straight in as a sense, I wasn't overly happy about this as I had no idea of the grades in the class and didn't have the confidence to take a class on my own and what made it worse was I was asked to cover the class only 3 hours before so I didn't even have time to think about what I wanted to do in the class and this was not a one time thing I was a weekly occurrence and stupid me thinking what I was doing was being appreciated I actually opted to cover classes rather than take shifts in work when I was needed which resulted I me losing my paid job. What I really did not like is them getting me to take classes where I was expected to teach2nd kyu brown belts when I had no idea how to do their grade kata let alone teach it.

If that wasn't bad enough I finally found a class where I felt comfortable and competent teach the old Regional manager stepping down meant that it was up for grabs and it was easy for me to get to. I was promised this class and then I turn up to teach the class the following week to find 3 other instructors 1 of whom was no longer a registered instructor and 2 of whom the new rm had been warned to not allow to teach until they had retrained because they didn't know what they were doing and were pushing students away resulting in the closure of their dojo and yet the class was taken from me and handed to them two ad I was given a class miles away where I was lucky to make the last bus from town home and was already on the brink of closure due to loss of students so the old rm who had stayed on as a senior instructor and said I could sempai his class. When one of the students from a class I had covered asked me about becomong an instructor I advised him that unless his heart was truly in it and willing to train at every class he possibly could as I did a I spent on average 14 hours a week training wen I wasn't needed to teach so I could give my students the best possible training then I would advise him against it because you were treated like scum of the earth what you did wasn't appreciated and to be frankt he new rm was a *******. This was all on my private Facebook so under GKR rules and regs he was not allowed to do anything, but one might before a class he called me and told me that he want led to come to my home to in his words " have a little chat" I told him that I was teaching and that I had never missed a class and did not plan to start. So I got to the class and he had turned up in his go and belt even though he was not teaching, he was using is as an intimidation technique that unlucky for him did not work but wen we gave the students a break he came in and in front off ally he students and parents summoned me like an insolent child and then refused to let me have a witness present to the conversation to the point I had to stand outside the dojo and argue with him until he allowed my witness present, he then started carrying. On which I will spare you the details of that conversation and told me to remove my belt and told me I was not to teach again and told me to get back to the dojo which was humiliating as all the students and parents had seen me leave with an instructor belt and come back without one and naturally wanted to know why. While some had no idea why some guessed but all said what he did was disputable and they were ashamed to say that they and their children were part of a club that treated their instructors in such a manner especially since we did it for free with the only thing we got was free training. That night when I got home I emailed andy wars regarding the matter and he did not even have the decency to email me back saying so what but as soon as I emailed him equireing about class fees as a student said they had gone up and I wanted to fin out for the student if this was the rm or the head office he emailed me back within 24hrs. I am returning to training but I am going to train elsewhere.

I realise I am late finding this but I feel the need to reply.

I am an ex employee of GKR. I have yet to see anything false in this post. I started training with them in Leeds in 2006 as a kid but was forced to leave due to moving to Doncaster. 6 years after leaving I rejoined GKR as an SDC in liverpool and was not at any point until I got the job was I made aware it was commission. I was also not told I had to purchase a uniform which considering you are put on a one month trial I think this is out of order because if you are not bringing in at least 10 members a week you are sacked so you are out £35. I was kept on as an instructor and to those who are part of GKR you clearly know nothing if you don't think that the instructors for the most part are no higher that 1st kyu. I know this because I was only an orange belt when I started teaching and I was never made a sempai. 2 days after passing the STP I was put straight in as a sense, I wasn't overly happy about this as I had no idea of the grades in the class and didn't have the confidence to take a class on my own and what made it worse was I was asked to cover the class only 3 hours before so I didn't even have time to think about what I wanted to do in the class and this was not a one time thing I was a weekly occurrence and stupid me thinking what I was doing was being appreciated I actually opted to cover classes rather than take shifts in work when I was needed which resulted I me losing my paid job. What I really did not like is them getting me to take classes where I was expected to teach2nd kyu brown belts when I had no idea how to do their grade kata let alone teach it.

If that wasn't bad enough I finally found a class where I felt comfortable and competent teach the old Regional manager stepping down meant that it was up for grabs and it was easy for me to get to. I was promised this class and then I turn up to teach the class the following week to find 3 other instructors 1 of whom was no longer a registered instructor and 2 of whom the new rm had been warned to not allow to teach until they had retrained because they didn't know what they were doing and were pushing students away resulting in the closure of their dojo and yet the class was taken from me and handed to them two ad I was given a class miles away where I was lucky to make the last bus from town home and was already on the brink of closure due to loss of students so the old rm who had stayed on as a senior instructor and said I could sempai his class. When one of the students from a class I had covered asked me about becomong an instructor I advised him that unless his heart was truly in it and willing to train at every class he possibly could as I did a I spent on average 14 hours a week training wen I wasn't needed to teach so I could give my students the best possible training then I would advise him against it because you were treated like scum of the earth what you did wasn't appreciated and to be frankt he new rm was a *******. This was all on my private Facebook so under GKR rules and regs he was not allowed to do anything, but one might before a class he called me and told me that he want led to come to my home to in his words " have a little chat" I told him that I was teaching and that I had never missed a class and did not plan to start. So I got to the class and he had turned up in his go and belt even though he was not teaching, he was using is as an intimidation technique that unlucky for him did not work but wen we gave the students a break he came in and in front off ally he students and parents summoned me like an insolent child and then refused to let me have a witness present to the conversation to the point I had to stand outside the dojo and argue with him until he allowed my witness present, he then started carrying. On which I will spare you the details of that conversation and told me to remove my belt and told me I was not to teach again and told me to get back to the dojo which was humiliating as all the students and parents had seen me leave with an instructor belt and come back without one and naturally wanted to know why. While some had no idea why some guessed but all said what he did was disputable and they were ashamed to say that they and their children were part of a club that treated their instructors in such a manner especially since we did it for free with the only thing we got was free training. That night when I got home I emailed andy wars regarding the matter and he did not even have the decency to email me back saying so what but as soon as I emailed him equireing about class fees as a student said they had gone up and I wanted to fin out for the student if this was the rm or the head office he emailed me back within 24hrs. I am returning to training but I am going to train elsewhere.

Thats just horrible!

If you ever pass by AFK, feel free to call in and have a go.

However, we wont be asking you to teach for us just yet ;)