New driver insurance

Do not rely on just one insurance search company, try them all.

Try the smaller companies and spend as much time as you can in obtaining quotes.

As an aside, I was looking for a quote for a discovery I had just bought. I went to the main insurers and was quoted between £390 and £5000!!!

I had decided on the lowest quote but came across an independent insurer who quoted me £120.

I passed at 20, which is only three more years older than 17 but makes a HUGE difference.

It was going to cost me £1700 from Endsleigh to insure it at my address in Sheffield and without a black box. So I lied and said it was being kept overnight at my parents house in Matlock. It went down to £1300 :)

Thanks for your sound advice guys , quotes are coming in thick & fast .

Was about to say similar. try putting other drivers that *will* use the car at least occasionally on the policy. God knows why it works but it seems to.

Martin Lewis's guide seems pretty comprehensive:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

Adding extra drivers lowers the risk that the young driver will be driving it all the time. Same as answering 'do you have access to another car' when quoting for insurance; if you do, you won't be driving the car you are getting the quote for all the time, so risk lowers.