New driver insurance

Hi can anyone give me any information regarding insurance for a new driver , I know it's not cheap but not sure which are the best companies to go with. If you know anyone who has just passed and they have got any advice it would be welcome. Thank you .

you will be talking thousands no matter what car you buy especially if your young aswell

Be prepared to pay through the nose, be prepared to be a little less through the nose if you want one of those boxes installed in the vehicle. Unfortunately that's the only advice I can give.

My sons a fairly new driver and we got some ridiculous quotes.

Companies that were asking silly money for my sons were among the cheapest for his friends, and vice versa so all you can do really is shop around, be sensible with your car choice and be prepared to have a box if necessary.

The one company that was cheapest for virtually all of them for their first year was Ingenie, my son then moved to Carrot when his renewal was due.

Good luck!

Guest sibon

I got some ridiculous quotes to add my 17 year old learner daughter and 21 year old new driver to my policy. For example, Hastings wanted an extra £2600 per year.

After a bit of internet work, I finally got a decent quote. Me, Mrs sibon, and the two younger novices all for £600. Admiral were the heroes of the hour. Give them a try.

Thanks all, yes the black box is going to be an option & you are all right about the high cost some quotes as high as £4000. I will have a look at admiral.

I got some ridiculous quotes to add my 17 year old learner daughter and 21 year old new driver to my policy. For example, Hastings wanted an extra £2600 per year.

After a bit of internet work, I finally got a decent quote. Me, Mrs sibon, and the two younger novices all for £600. Admiral were the heroes of the hour. Give them a try.

Was about to say similar. try putting other drivers that *will* use the car at least occasionally on the policy. God knows why it works but it seems to.

Martin Lewis's guide seems pretty comprehensive:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

Ive been driving for 6 years, 4yr NCD

Year 1 Daewoo HeapOjunk 1.4 or something. Insurance £1600 for the year with Swinton

Y2 Hyundai thingy SRI 1.4 Insurance £1300 for year with Tesco

Y3 Renault Megan 1.6. £1100 for the year with Kwikfit

Y4 Saab Aero2.3 Turbo (tweaked) £1400 with Tesco

Y5 Same car Just under £700 for the year with Castle Cover

My summary? Insurance makes no sense and they charge what they like. Shop around and Never auto renew, always shop around then too.

Hi can anyone give me any information regarding insurance for a new driver , I know it's not cheap but not sure which are the best companies to go with. If you know anyone who has just passed and they have got any advice it would be welcome. Thank you .

Get a broker to do the legwork for you, let them find the cheapest insurers and also look into which cars are lower risk (here's a clue, it isn't necessarily a Group 1 car).

After that just jump on the comparison sites to see if you can get a better deal.

The comparison websites like GoCompare.com and Confused.com are your best bet. You have not mentioned your age group, as it is very expensive if you are under 25 years. But even if you are over that age, your first year's insurance for someone who has had their licence for less than a year would probably come to around £1000, for a car that is not too expensive (car cost around £2500)

If you get your insurance with Tesco Bank, make sure you quote your Clubcard number (get one if you don't already have one) as I have noticed it reduced my quote by at least £150.

Good luck!

My Daughter passed her test @ 17, 3 years ago.

First year insurance (in her own name), for a 1.3 Ka was £2100 (paid in one lump sum, or £4300 if paid monthly!)

This was restricted mileage (8K), Black box installed, me on as a named driver; With Hastings direct.

After 12 months it came down to just under £600, the next renewal was around the £450 mark.

Best advice is:-

Shop around

Restrict mileage

Have a telematics (black box) system

Add an older driver with a good record.

Pay in one lump sum (take out a 0% credit card or loan if needed - it's much cheaper than paying monthly)

The internet is your friend. GOOGLE car insurance.

Angel1.