Belachan Block?

Hi all,

I am quite a basic fisherman, no poles and only fish local ponds, either Ford Bottom, Charnock or KJS at Killamarsh. Just like to escape now and again, anyway my question is:

I want to experiment with making my own paste from pellets, will also be buying and boiling hemp and adding different things. I may have asked for advice of paste before but would welcome more, best pellets to use, size, can you use expander pellets to make paste (I have a load to use). Finally, I found on a forum someone using Belachan paste, this stuff stinks to high heaven, can be purchased from any large asian supermarket for a few quid.

Anyone used this stuff and if so how, can you use it directly onto a hook or grate into paste mix/grounbait?

OK, ta, any pointers would be most welcome.

A mate of mine used belachan a few years ago and it does pong.

He used a fine grater and grated it onto his groundbait, I would imagine that's the way to add it to paste.

I have used Anchovy paste, it comes in a tube from Sainsbury that puts a fishy smell to your paste if that's what you are after.

The Belachan comes in a brown coloured block and I think it's made from shrimp or small fish, it's hard so you have to either soak or grate to get it to mix.

Thanks for the reply, already got some Belachan, will grate as suggested, will also try that anchovies stuff, cheers for the tip

If you have Belachan I'd try that first, my mate used to swear by it and he had good results.

He moved away and I haven't heard from him in a few years.

With this reminder I will have to contact him.

Before I got into specimen fishing I used to grind up trout pellets in an old coffee grinder, add geletine (forgive spelling if wrong) and any supermarket flavour (vanilla, stawberry, curry powder, etc). Worked for bream and roach.

Gelatine?, interesting, does this act as a binding agent?

Pellets and paste made with gelatine have a firmer texture which makes them less prone to being pulled off the hook by fish or when striking. They can also be used with rod and line whereas a water pumped pellet may come off on the cast.

Gelatine?, interesting, does this act as a binding agent?
Yes. It also gives it a nice, pliable texture.

Van den Eynde used to make ready to use ' Jelly Pellets '. They came in a sealable bag and had a good shelf life. I used to get a couple of bags if I took my tackle with me on holiday just for the convenience.

Anyone made paste using pellet, ground bait adding salt and yeast?, saw a you tube video showing this but adding yeast was not explained, assume it acts as a binding agent

I use pellet for paste, the pellets I use are super micros the smallest pellets I've seen.

I measure an amount of pellet from a small tub then two measures of the same tub full of water. When all the water is soaked by the pellets I put a tube of Anchovy paste then work it into a paste with a fork.

As for salt or yeast I have no idea, perhaps Carp boys would advise on this.

I can see the reasoning with salt, though it must be ROCK salt (table and sea salt have had most of their natural minerals taken out of them). I've never heard of adding yeast though. I can't see it being a binding agent as it dissolves in water, but it could be for its nutritional properties.