Optician Who Would Go Into Hospital

Does anyone know of an optician that would go into the Northern General Hospital to test a patient eyes.

Any help would be grateful

thanks

Doesn't the hospital have an ophthalmology department? Wouldn't they need to be referred to this.

I would have thought that a proper eye test would need all the relevant equipment which is fixed in the opticians.

no the hospital says to find an optician who would go in and do a eye test

RHH has an opticians on B floor, you can go down there if you are an inpatient and can leave the ward.

I used to work in the Ophthalmology department for 7 years, as far as I know they have never done ward eye tests.

The consultants all have different specialities and if it was one of these problems an Optician or GP will refer you.

Your post isn't clear, what exactly are you asking? I thought you meant the optician needed treatment in Hospital.

Ordinary opticians can't do sensitive tests. The pressure test for a start isn't particularly accurate. If you read high on the scale the optician often has a more accurate test for those patients. If there is still concern the patient is referred to Hospital Opthalmology. This applies for several tests the local optician performs. They can spot several diseases by looking at the eyes, not just eye disease.

I can't comment on Sheffield as my family live in Rotherham. I know Opticians and dentists go out to disabled or elderly if they can't travel as they used to go out to my grandma at home and when she went into a nursing home.

Also - they may offer special Hospital arranged transport to get the patient to Hospital if this is necessary.

Edited by Chez2

Hi there,

I can pass you the details, but tests within the hospital must be paid for privately, even if they are entitled to a free eye test on the NHS. Please let me know if I can help any further.

my mother in law is in the northern general long term and needing an optician for a eye test and new glasses so was hoping some optician would go into the hospital and do this. I have spoken to the northern general and they do not have a optician they use you have to find one

Hopefully blackbeards link will help you. Hope she gets sorted soon.

specsavers have a home service, they may be able to do it

Does anyone know of an optician that would go into the Northern General Hospital to test a patient eyes.

Any help would be grateful

thanks

Hi

You could try Eyecare on Firth Park Road, it's just down from the NGH. I think they do home visits so I am sure can accommodate.