Road closures- Sheffield Half Marathon- 10 April 2016

Entries for next year have already opened! So for anyone moaning about not being given enough notice. SUNDAY 9TH APRIL 2017 - SHEFFIELD HALF MARATHON. The course is likely to be the same so if you like you can note down when the roads closed this year and gauge what next year will be like.

The race was fantastic! Well done to everyone who took part and thank you to all the awesome spectators! See you next year :)

It was a fantastic run today, although that ascent to Ringinglow is a bit of a challenge. Tremendous support all along the course. Hadn't realised how many friends had turned out to give a cheer. My impression was that fewer cars seemed to have been caught out by the event, possibly as it's been better publicised this year.

To any who were inconvenienced, I'm sorry, but lots of us enjoyed running and feel better for it. Lots more seemed to be enjoying giving us their support. Thanks to all of you.

I for one will be glad it's moving from Sheffield, some people only get the weekend off work and they don't want all the inconvenience.

Yeah, it's so unusual to ONLY get the weekend off work!

And to then have other people doing things, well, that really takes the biscuit. :suspect:

Crowds were great around the course. Not sure I would have made it back without the encouragement coming down Ecclesall Road and around Hunters Bar.

There must have been thousands of pounds spent on Jelly Babies...

Have we heard any horror stories from Sunday morning yet? Maybe a fruit machine being thrown out of a window because somebody lost 20p in it? :)

Have we heard any horror stories from Sunday morning yet? Maybe a fruit machine being thrown out of a window because somebody lost 20p in it? :)

Don't be mean and show empathy. You know that the poster in question would have been sat cowering next to his phone worried that it may ring at any moment.

There must have been thousands of pounds spent on Jelly Babies...

Never seen as many, the course will be sticky with them for days after so many were dropped and trampled under foot. Hopefully the NSPC to jelly babies won't need to get involved.

No shortage of water, thanks to ASDA, but several people in the crowds seemed to have bottles of water to offer. Sorry not to have taken one of the iced buns offered on one road in Dore, or stop to chat to the lady who recognised me from 20 years ago and ran to try to catch me.

Lots of hi-5s from children who may be joining in when old enough.

Just a final word to congratulate the organisers. The pink army of stewards along the course was impressive and they deserve our thanks. Some were in quite isolated positions (like Sheephill Road) for several hours. The street cleaners who followed up did an excellent job to ensure the roads were reopened as soon as possible.

If you didn't get involved in 2016 entries are already being taken for 2017, on 9th April. Try it. It's really not that hard with a little preparation and you've got a year to get ready; https://yorkshirehalf2017.eventdesq.com/reg/types

Don't be mean and show empathy. You know that the poster in question would have been sat cowering next to his phone worried that it may ring at any moment.

O'k JFK, here we go again. So let me say that the marathon never affected me, ever. It wasn't me that got the hassle at the club where the machine got wrecked because we were late, I didn't even have to clean the wreckage up, it was our delivery man who did that.I didn't have a fault to bother repairing on it. It was a girl who got attacked by the soccer thug because we were delayed, not our engineer.

We didn't get any blame for the two customers we did lose because of the marathon, it just meant less work for us to do. The marathon never ever stopped me getting my car out of my drive and i never used a bus, so it didn't mean that I couldn't get my bus because my bus wasn't running because it had been diverted and it never delayed me getting home after I worked a shift on nights. I never said it affected me. Now it may be an alien concept to you, but I was actually considering others.

Why were jelly babies de rigeur, by the way?

Very easy way to get sugar into the system whilst running.

Personally, I prefer Haribo as the icing sugar on Bassetts Jelly Babies dries my mouth up.