American Television Comedy

It seems that over the years the formula for American television comedy has not changed one iota.They have an entourage of scriptwriters who put a script together that virtually every line of it is a punchline ,then they add the audience laughter which is virtually continuous ,presumably to ram it home that something funny has been said.As an example "the Big Bang Theory".I really want to like it but these attributes I have just mentioned are a big put off to me.i like to watch comedies like "The Royle Family"or "Early Doors" where I decide what's funny or not ,wonder what everyone else thinks?

What about The Office: An American Workplace or Parks and Recreation? Try the latter.

It seems that over the years the formula for American television comedy has not changed one iota.They have an entourage of scriptwriters who put a script together that virtually every line of it is a punchline ,then they add the audience laughter which is virtually continuous ,presumably to ram it home that something funny has been said.As an example "the Big Bang Theory".I really want to like it but these attributes I have just mentioned are a big put off to me.i like to watch comedies like "The Royle Family"or "Early Doors" where I decide what's funny or not ,wonder what everyone else thinks?

I agree, I have lived in North America for 35 years and the only American comedy that ever made me laugh was "Married with Children". Don't know if it was shown in the UK. it was mainly aired in the 90's.

Yes, 'Married with Children' was shown here, although I can't say I remember anything about it (except for Peg Bundy's big hair).

Edited by horribleblob

much of the big bang theory is shot before a live audience some of the giggles are real.

if we're wanting good american comedey then of course there is MASH and roseanne and SOAP.

...if we're wanting good american comedey then of course there is MASH and roseanne and SOAP.

Frasier, Kate & Allie, Roseanne, A Different World, Happy Days and The Golden Girls - I wish they were still on

I liked Will & Grace but nothing comes close to Frasier for me.

Once saw a series of MASH on BBC2 they somehow played it without the laugh machine, Marvellous !!

I liked Seinfeld myself.

Brilliant "sit com" type comedy better than anything we have ever done.

---------- Post added 27-03-2016 at 10:59 ----------

Once saw a series of MASH on BBC2 they somehow played it without the laugh machine, Marvellous !!

Yes it was shown in the UK without the laughter backing a big improvement.

MASH particularly the earlier ones were brilliant.

---------- Post added 27-03-2016 at 11:03 ----------

Although they have made some absolute dros there have been some brillaint comedys from the USA some of my favourites other than those already mentioned.

Sometimes you need to watch a few episodes to get into them too.

Cheers.

The Larry sanders show.

Curb your Enthusiasm imo the best comedy ever.

Edited by Fudbeer

When MASH was originally shown on the B.B.C. in the '70s-'80s it didn't have a 'laugh track' then either.