Wisdom tooth extraction

Anyone had it done awake? having my upper right one out thursday and to say I'm scared is an under statement i wont be having my gum cut as my tooth isn't impacted its fully down its just causing me issues and i have too many teeth

I had mine taken out a couple of years back and although i wasnt awake as such (had sedation) everything went well. As you say, the gum doesnt need to be cut and the tooth is fully through so this will make it a straight forward job for the dentist. Totally understand you being scared but after mine were removed i wondered what all the fuss was about. By thursday eve so will you!

Best of luck (not that you will need it though)

Anyone had it done awake? having my upper right one out thursday and to say I'm scared is an under statement i wont be having my gum cut as my tooth isn't impacted its fully down its just causing me issues and i have too many teeth

Yes, I had gum cut a couple of times due to complications.

I shouldn't worry too much, as it will be numbed well, I would perhaps have a few pain-killers on standby though (strong ones that you have taken before and know work), for when it wears off.

If they're straight forward extractions there's nothing to worry about. I had 2 removed many moons ago with local aesthetic and it was over in no time, I even remember thinking is that it?

The biggest problem I had after was the temptation to stick my tongue in the holes left behind :gag: but they heal in no time. Having a bacon sandwich the next day was probably not the best move either. :hihi:

I've had three out. The first two were done at the same time. They said they needed to cut the gum so I wussed out and had it done in the Northern General under sedation. That one went smoothly... apart from an allergic reaction to the tape they put over your eyes, which turned mine completely blood red for a month... I had to wear sunglasses in midwinter so I didn't frighten children (or work colleagues...) as I looked like a demon. :D

The third one I had under local and they took it out without a hint of discomfort whatsoever. Honestly, I wouldn't have known it was out if they hadn't told me.

Best advice, once it's out and they tell you how to rinse your mouth, follow their instructions! I failed to do so on the third one and ended up with a dry socket which was no fun at all and took ages to heal.

Thanks will defo follow here advice I've only every had a molar it next to a wisdom tooth 8 years ago. I am worried about it but I'm also worried about eating after how long did it take you all to eat normally after ?

Just chew on the opposite side for a while, you'll know when its right again, and honestly, don't worry it's nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be. Lets us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Thanks will defo follow here advice I've only every had a molar it next to a wisdom tooth 8 years ago. I am worried about it but I'm also worried about eating after how long did it take you all to eat normally after ?

Depending on what you decide on, I think there are certain eating requirements if you are 'knocked out'. You're better off opting for local/normal numbing, and make sure you eat well a few hours before, because eating isn't easy for a while, and certainly not easy early on. I think awkwardly eating bread and thin and no bits soup was the best I could do for a couple of days.

Like someone above said, you'll just learn to eat on the other side for a few days/weeks depending on healing.

I shouldn't worry though, these days, dental technicians if I dare use that term, are superb :)

I don't worry anymore about dental work, and I have probably one of the worst dental histories in modern times! I worry more about how I'm going to pay for it! Personally if I could afford it, I'd have all mine out and falsies!

Depending on what you decide on, I think there are certain eating requirements if you are 'knocked out'. You're better off opting for local/normal numbing, and make sure you eat well a few hours before, because eating isn't easy for a while, and certainly not easy early on. I think awkwardly eating bread and thin and no bits soup was the best I could do for a couple of days.

Like someone above said, you'll just learn to eat on the other side for a few days/weeks depending on healing.

I shouldn't worry though, these days, dental technicians if I dare use that term, are superb :)

I don't worry anymore about dental work, and I have probably one of the worst dental histories in modern times! I worry more about how I'm going to pay for it! Personally if I could afford it, I'd have all mine out and falsies!

I'm only having injections go numb it not being put to sleep or anything like that. Yes I'll have breakfast if I can stomach it.

I've always found having my teeth cleaned worse than having one extracted, last time I had one out I ate tomato soup for a few days.

Just chew on the opposite side for a while, you'll know when its right again, and honestly, don't worry it's nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be. Lets us know how you get on :thumbsup:

I will let you know. Guess so hope it's not that bad and over quickly

I had a badly impacted one removed at charlie clifford a couple of years back. As the tooth was sat on the facial nerve my dentist would not go near it.

Here is a brief version (abridged?) of the affair.

Professor and two students. No I don't mind them "helping".

Pro, numb the tooth, cut the gum remove and sew up.

Me, great get going.

Pro, student one, cut the gum.

Pro, no, bigger cut, expose the tooth.

Pro, MMmm, might be a little awkward.

Pro, I will cut the head off the tooth. Then remove the root.

Me, to myself - oh bugger.

Pro, that's the head removed, oh the roots are loose, good.

Pro, I can remove the roots with my fingers they are that loose.

Me, to myself, thank goodness.

Pro, to student two. Get in there and sew it up.

Pro, No,no, no, another two stitches required.

Me to myself oh bugger.

Student, is that ok now, Pro - a good job.

Me, is that it done chaps.

Pro, yes all ok. I think the nerve will be fine.

Me, thank goodness.

By the time I had returned home the feeling had returned. Never had any problem with the healing, job done.

In conclusion. It's unpleasant to have it done, but it is absolutely and completely pain free. Never even had to take a pain killer of any description either.

Thanks to Charlie Clifford for a job well done.

Angel1.