10 month old and vicks

Hi.

Does anyone know if I can use vicks vapour rub as a humidifier for a 10 month old?

Some people are saying yes but others say you should never use vicks vapour rub on infants. Obviously it wouldn't be on his skin.

He's really congested but struggling to clear it.

Thanks in advance

I came out in a rash when I had Vicks rubbed on my chest, I was only little.

I would not use it; but then again I would not use most medications. What ever it is, the body will heal itself, if you think it is a chest infection, maybe see a doctor or a pharmacist?

It'll either heal itself or they will die yes....

Seriously to the OP a forum like this is a really bad place to get medical advice. Try ringing 111 and asking their advice.

You need baby vickes, I wouldn't use the adult one...

We used baby Olbas on a clean cloth and tied it to the side of the cot.

Since Vicks themselves say that vapour rub is not suitable for children under 2, I would say it is not suitable for a 10 month old. It actually contains eucalyptus oil which can be toxic and menthol can trigger a reflex which slows breathing (and can actually stop it).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6444736

I would say visit a pharmacist to ask for advice first.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/eucalyptus-oil-for-congested-children-busted-essential-oil-myth-1/

Edited by biotechpete

Seriously to the OP a forum like this is a really bad place to get medical advice. Try ringing 111 and asking their advice.

There will be lots of different views on what to do, its up to the poster to pick the best one, can be better than 111, if you pick the right one.

Obelix is right isn't he. It's all well and good "not using medicines" until you find the time that the body won't heal itself and you're dead...

We have used baby Vicks on our sons feet at night when he was under one and it worked really well. Snuffle babe do a baby vapour rub that's reputable.

Snuffle rub is ok for little ones or try one of those Olbas oil plug ins.

I remember my eldest being particularly bad at around 8m so I put him to sleep in his pushchair slightly reclined in our bedroom for the night.