Your thoughts on donations to charities

I give to charity regularly, I'm good like that.
well done you.

Thank you. Do you give to charity?

Through our taxes.

We get the door to door 'Chuggers' on a very frequent basis representing the Red Cross. All are students, maybe it makes their CV's look better once they graduate! We are sick of them however they still come out and try their best to get you to sign up a direct debit with them.

I have my own charities that I support and will randomly donate be it a couple of pounds or books etc

A point to note for all Oxfam supporters....take a look at how much of your money goes to the CEO's/Directors its horrific!!!! I read somewhere that for every £1 donated approximately 1.3p reaches its destination, mind you that was a few years ago now

It's worth bearing in mind when buying charity Christmas cards, that although they are expensive, it's surprising that very little goes to charity:

http://money.aol.co.uk/2015/11/23/beware-the-charity-christmas-card-rip-off/

It's worth bearing in mind when buying charity Christmas cards, that although they are expensive, it's surprising that very little goes to charity:

http://money.aol.co.uk/2015/11/23/beware-the-charity-christmas-card-rip-off/

Similar thing going on with charity bags you get through the letter box. All neatly marketed, but take a closer look at the small print further down the bag soon reveals how little is donated.

Through our taxes.

good point - the MP's Expenses Charity Appeal

Thank you. Do you give to charity?

Not any more, I cancelled all direct debits when kate McCann was made an ambassador for the Missing people charity. What a joke!!

Similar thing going on with charity bags you get through the letter box. All neatly marketed, but take a closer look at the small print further down the bag soon reveals how little is donated.

What about the air ambulances charities; surely a very good cause?

Over the years I have raised money for and given personally to a number of national & international charities but no longer, I still regularly give but only to Sheffield charities.

What about the air ambulances charities; surely a very good cause?

Take a look at a charity bag that drops through the letter box. You will see a nice bit noticable fluffy advert such as...'heart foundation, or kids cancer charity.' Then read the small print which would say something similar to...'we donate £50 for every ton of clothing we sell,' or whatever. These are private companies making a profit. You may think this is ok? But, that ton of clothes donated to a genuine charity makes more sense.

Air Ambulance is a worthy cause, but my opinion is it should be paid for by the government.

Air Ambulance is a worthy cause, but my opinion is it should be paid for by the government.

I agree with that.

But even if some employees get paid, charities do have a worthy goal, and some money does get through.

I agree with that.

But even if some employees get paid, charities do have a worthy goal, and some money does get through.

i imagine it would be difficult for the air ambulance to function without paid full time staff.