Should the UK stop giving out handouts to the unemployed?

Should the UK stop giving out handouts to the unemployed?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK stop giving out handouts to the unemployed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

The issue of benefits stopping when someone goes into temp jobs is a very serious one. You might be able to say get a job in a shop for two weeks over Christmas, but if you do, you will then have to face the problem of starting up your benefits again, and in the case of housing benefit this is a major obstacle. Hvaing had some temp work massively increases the chances of getting permanent work simply due to being seen as 'willing and able'. It also means that people can increase their confidence, and it shows some of the long term unemployed how working feels better in terms of self respect than claiming. Remove that major barrier to people taking on temp work and you have solved half the problem already.

Now, there are far fewer staff in JCs as they have all been cut, so you ever working there isn't likely to be a worry! ;) People with experience in getting people into work and spotting what sort of claimant they are dealing with have been shoved into call centres or even on the dole themselves. Due to having less staff 'on the ground', petty rules emerge which actually restrict people's initiative e.g. in taking on a voluntary job for experience. These rules emerge as there are less experienced JC staff who know how to check validity of claims and claimants. Instead all claimants are tarred with the brush of suspicion as its easier. :rolleyes:

The red tape involved in getting training is still ridiculous. The chain down from central govt to the claimant is far too long - simply because of too many agencies and funding bodies being involved, all with their own rules. The LSCs should be scrapped and the staff reabsorbed by central govt, which should get on with delivery, as it used to, instead of just overseeing this massive spider's web of red tape involved with all these agencies. Cheaper in the long run, and less likelihood of local petty rules emerging which hinder people's honest attempts to do something for themselves to get off the dole!

ok. so taking the hard-line to its logical conclusion:

1. remove benefits to force the scroungers to work.

2. illegalise tobacco and alcohol.

3. death penalty for repeat offenders, even of minor crimes. like not working.

4. investment in huge 'victorian' prisons/workhouses.

5. forced sterilisation for the poor/thick.

6. no hospital treatment for addicts.

7. voting only available to business owners/major shareholders.

8. police to carry arms as standard, operating a shoot-to-kill policy.

perhaps a raised eyebrow on point 2 but lets face it, if were going to look at this properly, any recreational substance can be used wisely by the many but abused by the few; like the current benefits system. so they have to go.

have i missed anything bartfast?

ok. so taking the hard-line to its logical conclusion:

perhaps a raised eyebrow on point 2 but lets face it, if were going to look at this properly, any recreational substance can be enjoyed by the many but abused by the few; like the current benefits system. so they have to go.

have i missed anything bartfast?

all lefty dogooders to be publicly flogged then shot in the head?

and put queen victoria back on the throne :loopy::hihi:

actually, perhaps public flogging should be mandatory for the poor, yearly, if you havent 'bettered' yourself...with a monthly lottery, where a low-income family gets executed.

if that wont motivate them, eh slarty? infact, lets go one better!

all 'wealthy' owners/bosses/management of businesses should each have a blunt weapon, and the right to playfully cuff the poor round the head, whenever the fancy took em.

and a cattle-prod so they could clear the way when queueing up for something.

actually, perhaps public flogging should be mandatory for the poor, yearly, if you havent 'bettered' yourself...with a monthly lottery, where a low-income family gets executed.

i like to publicly flog myself more than once a month but errrrrrrrrrrm we better not go there :P

Ahhhhh... Utopia :thumbsup:

And the problem with this is?

No-one said anything about that... We don't want a repeat of 20's America.

Once again, too far. Only for the serious crimes like oh say murder, rape etc.

No comment.

Again, no comment.

Ooh look at that, three in a row.

And other people who study/hold jobs...

Well, it seems to work in South L.A. :hihi:

Excellent points, henryLbanjo :thumbsup:

Even if they were said with a touch of sarcasm.:hihi:

You left-wingers really are a violent bunch! The kind of things you come up with... Honestly! :shakes:

I lived with someone who had no intention of working so I went out to work.

I was also a single young parent but I still went out to work, relying on family to help with my children for a price.

I have a health problem which allows me not to have to work but I work.

I met someone new & had another child but didn't go back to work as my partner supported me untill she started school. During this time I studied law for 2 years & business management.

Now back at work again & intend to till I can work no more.

My neighbour was an alcoholic & has stomach problems due to this so claims incapacity, he has a partner & 3 kids, I hear regularly how poorly he has been. Yet his problems are just a symptom of the condition that I have, it stinks. He goes out daily, does his garden, so why can't he be made to work?

It's happening everywhere & yes I resent it. I have doen it so can everyone else.

i guess i still believe in a right to be supported if needs be...governments control so much of our life that a decent support/benefit system is the least they can do.

you cannot simply have one draconian measure. its meaningless unless you go the whole hog, and listing it just shows how naive and intolerant that view is.

:)

Why not go the whole hog and stop giving free help to drug addicts .That will save the N.H.S. a few quid.:rolleyes:

What is wrong with that?,,give them a whole bag of drugs and let nature take its course.

I know plenty of people that claim benefits of some description while sitting on their backside all day watching TV.

These people are scroungers,nothing more nothing less the benefits system allows these people to carry on like this.

I also know of people that claim to be disabled in some form to avoid work,what a joke this is some of these are the very same that slope off to their little fiddle jobs that they have.

There should be a system where if you havent completed a fixed number of years employment or study for students,benefits are not an option.

Even when you did qualify it would be for a fixed period of time giving you the motivation to get back into work.

These people wouldn not have to worry about feeding their offspring if they worked,because they would not be at home breeding all day.

We even have moronic companies that now cater to the wants of these people,brighthouse,shopacheck,provident ect..... all prey on these people and they do good business.

They fill their home with nice shiny new things,things that most people work hard for.

The Benefits system is one of worst things this country stands for because it breeds lazy layabouts that have a degree in Trisha,Jeremy Kyle and the rest of the trash.

This is another reason why we become flooded with imigrants and assylum seekers (ducks and takes cover) because it too easy for them to come over here and let the tax payers foot the bill.

Ive seen some excellent points in this thread,workhouses,work camps these would have my vote any day.

As said by scrooge himself "are there no prisons"