Pet Cremation, your thoughts

My old girl is 17 so we are on borrowed time with her various old age ailments.

She's become a very clingy dog in old age, which makes me think about when the time comes I have to make the decision its time to say goodbye.

Should I have her cremated as she hates being away from me, or is this just my own fears of letting go completely.

I had a dog cremated in 1995 and looking back I can't remember if it made me feel I hadn't completely lost her, or more upset seeing her ashes.

What are other people thoughts

Awww :( bless her though! 17 yrs old - she's obviously been very well looked after and loved..

As with anyone/thing that dies, it's only the shell you are disposing of, her spirit will always remain with you..

I dont like to think about when the time comes to say goodbye to my pooches but i already have an idea what i'm going to do with them... I'm going to have them cremated and then plant their ashes along with a beautiful plant in my garden in a pot! so if i move then they come with me :)

My neighbour did that with her husband., except she forgot to take him when she moved.

The new neighbours were less than amused when they dug him up :hihi:

We had a similar conversation a few months ago our dogs are 6 and 7 so hopefully a lot longer left,

We said we would like to have them cremated and keep in a box so they are with us

And we have a feeling they are still a big part in our lives

I have always buried my pets along with their favourite toy and blanket, either in my garden or in places they used to love walking or visiting.

we lost our 12 year old doberman a month ago.we had her cremated and we picked up her ashes in a lovely ornamental wooden (box) with her name BEK engraved on a brass name plate just yesterday.

its like the final goodbye to her body but like its been stated i will remember the 12 years of her personality playing/eating/winding us up when a pup.Lol/and being her most loyal loving self.

we have placed it in living room alongside a `slate with poetry/photo/name on it.does make me weepy but also happy everytime i look at it in an empty home

I feel it's whatever you are most comfortable with. For years I've buried my pets in the garden then recently because of lack of space, I've left them at the vets for communal cremation. It was hard the first time but personally I couldn't keep their ashes contained in a box. I would have just scattered them anyway so they would be free. I keep my pets in my head and my heart. Forever. No way is right or wrong, it's whatever you feel at peace with.

My friend had her horse cremated and then buried the basket of ashes in the paddock.. I think when the time comes I will have my cat cremated.. she's an indoor cat and I feel I want to keep her close when the time comes.:(

See how you feel when the time comes, i'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself..

BUT PLEASE whatever you do, dont get her stuffed and put on display!!

See how you feel when the time comes, i'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself..

BUT PLEASE whatever you do, dont get her stuffed and put on display!!

As much as I love her, that's too creepy to even consider :gag:

---------- Post added 18-03-2016 at 15:56 ----------

I feel it's whatever you are most comfortable with. For years I've buried my pets in the garden then recently because of lack of space, I've left them at the vets for communal cremation. It was hard the first time but personally I couldn't keep their ashes contained in a box. I would have just scattered them anyway so they would be free. I keep my pets in my head and my heart. Forever. No way is right or wrong, it's whatever you feel at peace with.

Am I right in thinking you can have single cremations rather than communal ones

Yes I used a single cremation service for my dog when he passed last year. You can either take to them or they will pick up if you need them too.

we had our dog cremated, we have his ashes on the mantel piece with some photos of him. I wanted him to always be near to me and I am glad we had him cremated