Do online petitions actually ever achieve their goal?

I just wonder in this day and age of online petitions which appear on the internet, and in particular the government website. Do they ever actually achieve anything?

I've seen dozens (maybe more) and actually signed the odd one or two. But I kind of know in my heart, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

The government petitions website requires a response if the number of signatory's is over 'X' amount, and promises a debate if it's over 'X' (can't remember the numbers). But it seems to me, to be a bit of a waste of time.

One example is the petition to have all children, not those under one immunised for Meningitis B...It's by far the highest number of signatory's ever for a petition of this sort, but the Government, still don't seem to be budging on the issue.

I'm not arguing for or against this petition, just using it as an example of the 'seeming' futility.

I signed one re filibustering which reached 33,000 and counting, above the number of signatories for a response. The response basically said how the chamber is run is up to the chamber and the speaker of the session so ner ner. We don't really have a proper democracy in this country. Ok we vote in the party that will hold the balance of power in the lower chamber once every five years, but if they renege on their promises we cant hold them to account. The irony is if the filibustering petition reaches 100,000, the required amount for it to be CONSIDERED for a debate in parliament, and a bill is put forward to stop filibustering it would probably just get filibustered anyway.

I signed one re filibustering which reached 33,000 and counting, above the number of signatories for a response. The response basically said how the chamber is run is up to the chamber and the speaker of the session so ner ner. We don't really have a proper democracy in this country. Ok we vote in the party that will hold the balance of power in the lower chamber once every five years, but if they renege on their promises we cant hold them to account. The irony is if the filibustering petition reaches 100,000, the required amount for it to be CONSIDERED for a debate in parliament, and a bill is put forward to stop filibustering it would probably just get filibustered anyway.

There's definitely an irony in that petition....Sigh

You are spot on. The current system is an anachronism and far from being truly democratic.

The people have very little power indeed. However, that is why the powers they do have (like being able to force a debate if a petition gets X amount of signatures), they need to use to the max!

The media are totally irresponsible and do not play a fair part in our so-called 'democracy'. Tens of thousands of people can take to the streets to protest and they will not get coverage, and the main headline on the BBC breakfast 'news' is about what happened on 'Strictly'. It's an insult to be honest.

Edited by Hesther

You are spot on. The current system is an anachronism and far from being truly democratic.

The people have very little power indeed. However, that is why the powers they do have (like being able to force a debate if a petition gets X amount of signatures), they need to use to the max!

The media are totally irresponsible and do not play a fair part in our so-called 'democracy'. Tens of thousands of people can take to the streets to protest and they will not get coverage, and the main headline on the BBC breakfast 'news' is about what happened on 'Strictly'. It's an insult to be honest.

Yes you're right on so many levels. But as a for instance, this is the result of a government response to a petition calling for a no confidence vote for Jeremy Hunt. The response is just a load of waffle.

Yes you're right on so many levels. But as a for instance, this is the result of a government response to a petition calling for a no confidence vote for Jeremy Hunt. The response is just a load of waffle.

It isn't an acceptable response as it does not address the points made in the petition. What it has achieved though, is highlighted the ill feeling, and forced the government to acknowledge this, even though they don't really respond to the points made, they have been forced to acknowledge the issue raised. Let's keep them coming, is what I say!

Regarding Jeremy Hunt's supposed 'crusade' about the increase in deaths at weekends, if he was genuinely concerned about such 'spikes', he would be looking at the increase in deaths when all the top consultants take their children to the Seychelles in the summer, leaving their juniors in charge.

Edited by Hesther

It isn't an acceptable response as it does not address the points made in the petition. What it has achieved though, is highlighted the ill feeling, and forced the government to acknowledge this, even though they don't really respond to the points made, they have been forced to acknowledge the issue raised. Let's keep them coming, is what I say!

No you are right, it's not an acceptable response. It's merely paying lip service to a petition with a fairly large signatory from the public.

In fact if you browse many of the responses, they're all pretty much the same...A bit of waffle and ultimately saying 'up yours' we don't care.

I can see your logic perfectly in that it kinda forces a response, but ultimately they just ignore them, and I'm sure there will come a point where people don't bother signing any petitions, because it's sort of a futile gesture.

I totally empathise with that but when I saw the lady on SKYnews this morning, who I believe is going to be standing in front of the government today, regarding the meningitis vaccine, I thought well at least if they persist in trotting out the line that this vaccine, although it could save the lives of children, is not 'cost-effective', they will have to look her in the eye and as inevitably children will die because of this decision, and they full well know this, they will still have to look her in the eye.

I totally empathise with that but when I saw the lady on SKYnews this morning, who I believe is going to be standing in front of the government today, regarding the meningitis vaccine, I thought well at least if they persist in trotting out the line that this vaccine, although it could save the lives of children, is not 'cost-effective', they will have to look her in the eye and as inevitably children will die because of this decision, and they full well know this, they will still have to look her in the eye.

Sorry if I appear cynical, but I still can't see it making any difference.

Politicians 'look people in the eye' all the time and tell lies.

Sorry if I appear cynical, but I still can't see it making any difference.

Politicians 'look people in the eye' all the time and tell lies.

They do, and each time they lose a bit of themselves.

Do they ever actually achieve anything

Yes they do dude :)