Wadsley/Wadsley Park Village - good place to live?

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some advice? My parents are thinking about moving the Sheffield and have seen some houses they like in Wadsley (Wadsley Park Village and Worrall Road). I live in Hillsborough and so should know the area, but I haven't a clue what it's like... Looks pretty safe judging by crime stats and I wondered round it which revealed nothing.

Is it a good/bad place to live?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

Hi Deb891

I think its a nice area, I lived on rural Lane for about a year and didn't have any problems. A few of my friends live further Up at Worral and love it!! Its like most area's really good and bad in all but going on the house prices and my experience of living in the area I think its a good place to live.

If they move to one of the new(ish) build places in Wadsley Park Village make sure it's a detached house, the walls are paper thin on them houses so you definitely don't want a semi.

Location is good though, tram stop is a short walk.

Thanks both, your replies were really helpful :)

We find that houses sell very quickly in Wadsley Park Village as there's good demand there. It can push up prices, not ideal if you are buying, but, on the other hand, when you come to sell you should sell quickly and for a good price

I lived in Wadsley for six years and loved its villagey feel. It had some good local shops and pubs and was handy for the bus to town or the car out to the Peak. The village itself has a variety of different housing- the Park Village being the worst in my opinion- a big development with no soul and thrown up houses. I think houses sell quickly because it isn't a very nice place to live- but others may disagree. There are lots of better houses in the area- I would have a good look around if I were you.

Hi guys,

Me and the OH are looking to upsize in terms of property and have found a couple of nice houses to buy, within budget at Wadsley Park Village. The OH is concerned about Winn Gardens etc and that the surrounding area doesn't look fantastic and wondered if anyone could offer any advice? We're currently in a small S10 terrace but can't afford to upsize realistically to much within that postcode. Any other areas we could look at would be gratefully received too!

When we were moving we looked at the Middlewood estate, I can`t call it Wadsley Park Village, it sounds so pretentious, like a marketing slogan, which is what it is !

You can get quite a lot of house for your money, and I like the fact many of the roads are short tight cul-de-sacs which severely restricts the speed of cars making it safer (and quieter) for everyone. It`s also within walking distance of the tram stop, though it`s a long walk if you live at the top.

On the other hand it does lack character, and shops. Furthermore none of it is in the catchment area for Oughtibridge Primary, and, as far as I`m aware, only the very top is in the catchment area for Bradfield Secondary. Thus we didn`t bother with it.

Edited by Justin Smith

I lived in Wadsley for six years and loved its villagey feel. It had some good local shops and pubs and was handy for the bus to town or the car out to the Peak. The village itself has a variety of different housing- the Park Village being the worst in my opinion- a big development with no soul and thrown up houses. I think houses sell quickly because it isn't a very nice place to live- but others may disagree. There are lots of better houses in the area- I would have a good look around if I were you.

I'd agree with this, have a look around Vainor/Marcliffe/Milden Roads or Grove Ave. Quiet, leafy, lots of character.

Something like this is comparable with prices on Wadsley Park Village:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54675253.html

Edited by Olive

Excuse me if I am being completely ignorant but does Wadsley (the areas mentioned by Olive above, and extending out onto Worrall Road) have any issues from surrounding areas, namely Winn Gardens and parts of Wisewood? We weren't too enamoured with characters loitering around Ben Lane when we went up to look a few days ago.

Excuse me if I am being completely ignorant but does Wadsley (the areas mentioned by Olive above, and extending out onto Worrall Road) have any issues from surrounding areas, namely Winn Gardens and parts of Wisewood? We weren't too enamoured with characters loitering around Ben Lane when we went up to look a few days ago.

As far as I can tell, the area around the street I mentioned are very quiet. Probably too far away from Winn Gardens for it to make any difference. Not sure about the other side of Worral Road.

We're on the other side of Marlciffe, and it's a great community, but probably not as quiet, as further up the hill, and close enough to the football ground to be very busy on match days. Very happy here though. We moved from Walkey, and prior to that S10. In comparison, I prefer here, it feels less crowded in, the tram is a superb amenity, the park's great. Nice, shiny Sainsburys just round the corner.....

As far as I can tell, the area around the street I mentioned are very quiet. Probably too far away from Winn Gardens for it to make any difference. Not sure about the other side of Worral Road.

We're on the other side of Marlciffe, and it's a great community, but probably not as quiet, as further up the hill, and close enough to the football ground to be very busy on match days. Very happy here though. We moved from Walkey, and prior to that S10. In comparison, I prefer here, it feels less crowded in, the tram is a superb amenity, the park's great. Nice, shiny Sainsburys just round the corner.....

Thanks Olive. We're moving from slightly further up in S10 out toward Crosspool. It's too far removed from anything up here to be interesting for a young(ish!) couple. My concern about H'boro and its surrounds had been how busy it gets but will head down to Wadsley this weekend to see what the area you have mentioned looks like. The houses seem to represent very good VFM, albeit they're all a tad too big for us (five bedrooms!).