Dripping and toast

please not crumpets , the Sheffield word is pikelets name now destroyed by major company advertising

Amen to that brother

I know it as "bread and mucky fat" when the fat and brown jelly are mixed together.

It reminds me of working in the pub on a Sunday afternoon. About half 12 we would put trays of bread and mucky fat on the bar for the customers, always went down a treat.

Nicest I know of was from Charlesworths in Barnsley. I think it might have shut down now. They sold it in "blocks" they also served homemade pork, roast ham and beef sandwiches. Always made with dripping. Beautiful!

please not crumpets , the Sheffield word is pikelets name now destroyed by major company advertising

I have had and enjoyed many a Sheffield pikelet in the 1950s straight off the hot plate from a shop that used to be at the end of South Road in Walkley.

These were thinner and a bigger diameter than a crumpet.

I was referring to a a Warburton Crumpet which is a totally different animal and could never be called a pikelet in my opinion.

A work colleague told me to spread dripping on a thick slice of bread, then sprinkle an Oxo cube on it too, must admit, i loved it...

I remember the 'Pikelet-man' used to come round with his large basket and ringing his hand bell in the 40's, you had to be quick before he sold out!

God I miss dripping, my grandparents still eat it often, I'm now 22 but I grew up on it thanks to my grandparents...now I live in America so they wouldn't have a clue what it is here

My other half swears that her doctor's waiting room has a small cafe in it that sells bread/toast and dripping.

Thinking about it, we should ask the mods to delete this thread, before some hipster whizz-kid sees it and decides to open a dripping restaurant. Can you imagine it? A smear of dripping on a 2"x2" piece of artisan bread served in a steel worker's boot £25.

My other half swears that her doctor's waiting room has a small cafe in it that sells bread/toast and dripping.

Thinking about it, we should ask the mods to delete this thread, before some hipster whizz-kid sees it and decides to open a dripping restaurant. Can you imagine it? A smear of dripping on a 2"x2" piece of artisan bread served in a steel worker's boot £25.

'Steel Worker's Boot' ? That's a great name for Sheffield pub, or a cocktail !..... (Sheffield pubs... remember them ?)

Can anyone remember mutton dripping? Used to eat mutton often.

I remember the 'Pikelet-man' used to come round with his large basket and ringing his hand bell in the 40's, you had to be quick before he sold out!

Pikelets were a thin concoction you spread with whatever.

Then there were the other smaller thicker things you could buy at the same time.

I think they are called crumpets here, but what the hell did we used to call them?

Please?

Pikelets were a thin concoction you spread with whatever.

Then there were the other smaller thicker things you could buy at the same time.

I think they are called crumpets here, but what the hell did we used to call them?

Please?

The smaller thicker ones were the pikelets, the bigger diameter , thinner one's were Oatcakes, if my memory serves me correctly.

Yes TORONTONY I agree with your description, at least that was my parents understanding also, both of them Sheffield born and bred in the first half of the 20th century.