Dripping and toast

I used to get my dripping fix every morning 50 odd years ago at Butlers café opposite Jessops Hospital,in those days I was a van boy at the Don Bakery!.All the south out of town runs had breakfast there before setting off,you had your dripping on a fresh oven bottom breadcake spread nice and thick with the dark stuff we called "axle grease"on top within plenty of salt!.All washed down with a pint pot of steaming tea,lubbly jubbly,the last time I tasted it would you believe was in north Tenerife,it was served up in a restaurant while we waited for our roast chicken meal!.

Edited by old tup
spellings

Bread and dripping with brown jelly and just to make it even more unhealthy, a good shake of salt. Oooooh does it get any better?

Boxing Day breakfast consisted of thick white bread ,pork dripping lavished on with salt and pepper and apple sauce scraped on. Yum yum. Crumpets and dripping worth a try:)

For the healthier option eat on Brown bread

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

You can get dripping and bread as a starter in lots of restaurants in Poland - its just as good as I remember it!

Don't like dripping on toast, but nice crusty white bread, particularly the crust, spread with nice home made pork dripping. Mmmmmmm can taste it know. my mother in law made the best dripping. Haven't had dripping for years, the stuff they sell as dripping is not the same.

Don't like dripping on toast, but nice crusty white bread, particularly the crust, spread with nice home made pork dripping. Mmmmmmm can taste it know. my mother in law made the best dripping. Haven't had dripping for years, the stuff they sell as dripping is not the same.

Agreed, home done dripping rules.

Boxing Day breakfast consisted of thick white bread ,pork dripping lavished on with salt and pepper and apple sauce scraped on. Yum yum. Crumpets and dripping worth a try:)

As for the above menu, were you born in Surrey or nearby ?

My grandma had a son in the 1920's aged 47. She said the only thing she ate throughout her pregnancy was bread and dripping.

He lived to be 82, hardly ever ill. 6'2" tall, very slim and thick black hair which only turned grey in his 70s.

By todays' guidelines the odds were very much stacked against him.

I think today's diet not that great if you look back on what people eat and drank and then look what we eat today it makes you wounder who got it right. I can't see bread and dripping been popular with today's fussy eaters !

I agree, going off subject I think sugar's the big threat now. My grandma lived to be 89 and loved a bit of bread and dripping. I love it on toast like previous posters, with a bit of salt. Moderation in all things.

I prefer the pots from Lily's on Penistone Rd where you get both the fat and the jelly,but not mixed together like Beres.

I like dripping on bread,toast or on toasted Warburtons crumpets.

I also like to fry a bit of bacon in the fat and have fried bread.

Only occasionally you understand as although it's very tasty it's probably not a health food.

please not crumpets , the Sheffield word is pikelets name now destroyed by major company advertising