Need advice on been coming new landlord of a pub

we are looking at a pub in Sheffield to lease we just want to know I much hard work is running a pub. how many hours do landlords do when eg running round for stock and paperwork and what is the pro and cons of the job the pub is going to be free house is there much profit in sale beer or is it best to hire a cook as well what does a real ale pub can pull in profits a year? the rent for this pub is £30k a year and the pub is closed down we think this is too much??? would be happy for some advice and how much is part time mangers wages a year going rate

Let's start with where the pub is, what customers do you want to entice? Classic hearty pub food and real ales or a place for the local alcoholics to spend the giro money?

it's long hours, hard work, for not much return, people do it because they enjoy it, not for money or profit imho...

As with so many concerns, the only people who make large profits are the the ones that receive the rent.

Pubs are a waste of time now the only way to make any money now is if you own the pub outright ...most of the pubs now are run by holding companies like punch and enterprise..you will be paying a high rent and be tied to just buying drinks from them, the days of landlords have long gone,,if you go as a manager say for wetherspoons you will be paid a pittance wage for all the hours you put in and expected to achieve unassailable targets,,don't put any of your hard earnt into it as you will lose your money....been there done it got a tshirt for it.

Edited by Shogun

do you know how to make a small fortune running a pub?

start with a large fortune.

:thumbsup:

how is the lease on a pub?? it on Penistone road what should I be paying on rent ? if I have it on 10 year lease. We have been looking for a large 3 bedroom house without buildings to buy one is 3% capital tax to buy a property because we have more than 3 property .we were thinking of have renting the pub pay it way wages would be nice if I got a set price tenancy I would not have to worry about interested rate or building insurances

Is it the Norfolk Arms in Grenoside? If so have you actually been inside?

If it is then due to a leak there are props holding up the kitchen floor because of the damage. The kitchen needs refitting. The whole pub needs a major refit, my Dad used to take me up to the beer garden when we where kids. I vaguely remember when they built the conservatory at the back - that is still the same nothing been done to it. The toilet block I think was also built during my lifetime - still the same. Same crappy, knackered chairs/seating in the bar. By all accounts the living accommodation upstairs is a dump too.

Don't get me wrong, it is has potential. Decent parking, large building plus outbuildings. The beer garden is a decent size, plus there is a sectioned off part of the garden at the bottom - this is still part of the pub. But it will take a lot of money to do it up.

If its not that one, then sorry for posting.

I Would suggest that asking all those questions, you are not yet ready to commit yourself to running a pub. Get involved at a lower stage for now, even being a barman, cellarman, glass collector etc for a while. Chat to the landlord in your local....

an old friend of mine always says , if you are rich enough to own a pub , you don't need to own a pub .

A pub on Penistone road is not going to do the volume you will need to pay the exes unless you do a food offering with a high GP, but to be honest that is not going to happen anywhere on Penistone road.

at that rent you are going to be up against it from the start when you factor rates in and staff, PPL licence , Sky tv for football if you intend to get the drinkers in, thats 1400-1550 PM.

as for part time manager??? i dont think they exist, supervisor maybe , a manager is going to want at least 22k + if hes any good and if he is any good someone will be paying him a lot more.

A pub on Penistone road is not going to do the volume you will need to pay the exes unless you do a food offering with a high GP, but to be honest that is not going to happen anywhere on Penistone road.

at that rent you are going to be up against it from the start when you factor rates in and staff, PPL licence , Sky tv for football if you intend to get the drinkers in, thats 1400-1550 PM.

as for part time manager??? i dont think they exist, supervisor maybe , a manager is going to want at least 22k + if hes any good and if he is any good someone will be paying him a lot more.

With that rent and the overheads the place would need to make not take over £2000 a week just to stay open,,nevermind make any money thats a lot of pints to sell do the maths and dont forget the council will want as much in rates as the rent is.