Understanding the universe.

"Metallic hydrogen,plug into Newton." What happens then ? Thank you.

Whats the density of metallic hydrogen?

Whats the size of the sun?

you think increasing solar mass wont have a somewhat interesting effect on orbital mechanics?

Whats the density of metallic hydrogen?

Whats the size of the sun?

you think increasing solar mass wont have a somewhat interesting effect on orbital mechanics?

Got It. Fair point. Mass per unit volume etc.

---------- Post added 23-04-2016 at 07:46 ----------

Apelike,

What does it -now that Hawking as shifted his position on black holes- mean

for Hawking's future- in your opinion ?

Edited by petemcewan

Besides the deep implications for solar and stellar physics, without Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission and universality of Planck’s equation, the spectroscopic assignment of a mean temperature to the Universe violates the laws of thermal emission. When Penzias and Wilson assigned a temperature to their residual signal and the theoreticians assigned this signal to the Cosmos, they violated the laws of thermal emission. From this fact it followers that the so-called Cosmic Microwave Background does not exist. The source of the 'CMB' is proximal (i.e. Earth). Indeed, it is a scientific fact that no monopole signal has ever been detected beyond ~900 km of Earth.

An interesting fact follows: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) would not exist if Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission were true and Planck’s equation universal, because both NMR and MRI utilise spin-lattice relaxation, which would be impossible if Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission were true. NMR and MRI are thermal processes. Clinical MRI is a direct invalidation of Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and universality of Planck's equation.

Readers are referred to the following paper:

Robitaille, P.-M., Crothers, S. J., “The Theory of Heat Radiation” Revisited: A Commentary on the Validity of Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission and Max Planck’s Claim of Universality, Progress in Physics, v. 11, p.120-132, (2015), http://viXra.org/abs/1502.0007

An interesting fact follows: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) would not exist if Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission were true and Planck’s equation universal, because both NMR and MRI utilise spin-lattice relaxation, which would be impossible if Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission were true. NMR and MRI are thermal processes. Clinical MRI is a direct invalidation of Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and universality of Planck's equation.

Kirchoff's law refers to perfect black body radiators. i'm not sure that magnetic nucleii in a biological environment could sensibly be modelled as black bodies.

Apelike,

What does this mean for Hawking- in your opinion ?

I dont think it will mean anything as he will still carry on with his maths regardless. He is undoubtedly a brilliant mathematician but I have always believed him to be very over-rated.

[/color]Now for a bit of philosophy.

For the Libertarians.

" The attempt to increase liberty, to lead a full and rewarding life,and the corresponding attempt to discover the secrets of nature and of man entails, therefore, the rejection of all universal standards and of all rigid traditions (Naturally, it also entails the rejection of a large part of contemporary science)".

For us Empiricists.

" The history of science, after all, does not consist of facts and conclusions drawn from facts. It also contains ideas,interpretations of facts, problems created by conflicting interpretations, mistakes and so on.

On closer analysis we even find that science knows no " bare" facts at all but that the "facts" that enter our knowledge are already viewed in a certain way and are, therefore, essentially ideational. This being the case, the history of science will be as complex, chaotic, full of mistakes, and entertaining as the ideas it contains, and these ideas ,in turn, will be as complex, chaotic, full of mistakes, and entertaining as the minds of those who invented them ".

"Science education as we know it today has precisely this aim. It simplifies"science" by simplifying its participants".

Paul Feyerabend. Against Method.Introduction .1975 .The Thetford Press Ltd.

What Feyerabend is getting at is; that the practice of science ,and our knowledge of how science proceeds, doesn't run like an Ingersol.It's not pure truth always wins out-the white hats beat the black hats. And scientists are a pretty chaotic and entertaining lot.

For the Idealists.

IMO, every university science curriculum should contain a unit with the

work of : Kuhn, Feyerabend, and Imre Lakatos. So it goes.

Edited by petemcewan

Kirchoff's law refers to perfect black body radiators. i'm not sure that magnetic nucleii in a biological environment could sensibly be modelled as black bodies.

andyofborg:- Please state what you understand is Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission, as your comment is vague. Papers have already been cited on this Forum which explain Kirchhoff's Law and Planck's equation in detail. I refer you to them.

Since MRI is a thermal process the laws of thermal emission must apply. That MRI is used in a biological setting is not the point. That MRI exists and that it could not exist if Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission is true and Planck's equation universal, is the point. Lattice-spin relaxation is specifically the physical proof that Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission is false and Planck's equation not universal.

Since Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission is false and Planck's equation is not universal, the so-called 'CMB' does not exist, Big Bang cosmology is false, and the Sun and stars are not balls of hot gas (see my previous posts). There is Big Bang cosmology and there is MRI. They are mutually exclusive. Which one do you feel is proven in the laboratory and clinically? I put my hand up to MRI as the proven.

---------- Post added 24-04-2016 at 23:31 ----------

I dont think it will mean anything as he will still carry on with his maths regardless. He is undoubtedly a brilliant mathematician but I have always believed him to be very over-rated.

Dear apelike:- Hawking has shown no signs of being a good mathematician let alone a brilliant mathematician. His works on black holes and big bang cosmology are riddled with violations of the rules of pure mathematics, and of physics. As I have remarked on this Forum several times, supplying a number of papers proving the point, the mathematical theory of black holes violates the rules of pure mathematics, and so it is false. That the proponents of black holes are unaware of their violations of the rules of pure mathematics does not entitle them to commit such violations with impunity.

Here is another interesting violation of the rules of pure mathematics committed by Einstein, and his followers. Assume that Einstein's pseudotensor is mathematically meaningful. Now contract it. The result is a first-order intrinsic differential linear invariant. However, the pure mathematicians proved in 1900 that first-order intrinsic differential invariants do not exist. Thus, by reductio ad absurdum, Einstein's pseudotensor is a meaningless concoction of mathematical symbols. Consequently it cannot be used to represent any physical entity, to model any phenomena, or to do any calculations. Yet Einstein and his followers, including Hawking, do all three! That none of them are aware of their violations of the rules of pure mathematics does not entitle them to commit such violations. I have already provided this Forum with a paper which explains these violations as well.

It is no wonder that Hawking is in charge of spending at least $US100,000,000.00 of Milner's thoughtless money, with the assistance of cosmologists all over the world, looking for aliens!

Edited by SJCrothers

The Internet has a lot to answer for. It's become a den of cranks and conspiracy theorists peddling their utter nonsense.

The Internet has a lot to answer for. It's become a den of cranks and conspiracy theorists peddling their utter nonsense.

Massive ego battle going on here, with lots of long words.

End of the day we've only managed a cup of tea on the moon.

Glasgowoods,

I agree the study of cosmology has a lot of long words describing the science.

I watched the moon landing on a neighbours TV. I never saw anybody having a brew.How would they have poured it ? LOL.

Nagel,

One can get Hawking on the Internet.

How do you prefer your information packaged -other than by the Internet ?

Edited by petemcewan

Massive ego battle going on here, with lots of long words.

End of the day we've only managed a cup of tea on the moon.

That's only due to a lack of will to spend the money, as opposed to a lack of knowledge or knowhow.

Have read on a clear day you can see a small island around 145 miles off Hawaii.

Hawaii's tallest mountain Mauna Kea is 13,796 ft (4,205 m) above mean sea level.

Distance to the horizon 225.9 Kilometres from 4,000 metres high.

If the high point of the island is 40 metres or so high, then you should be able to see this island from Mauna Kea.

Were you claiming to se it from the beach level?

BTW, this calculation is based on the generally believed curvature of the Earth, based on similar observations made over centuries.

Edited by jfish1936