Understanding the universe.

But that's the point. I'd expect someone treating something that relies on maths to that extent to have an appreciation of such things, and know how to treat infinity, in all it's varied sizes and forms.

I once recall having a debate with someone who was convinced that decimals were unusable because 10/3 = 3.3333 etc and then x3 - you get 9.999999 etc ..... this is just the same sort of thing in a different way. Maths is the toolkit but if you don't understand how the tools work then there is a real problem...

I got that one at school years ago from a under-trained maths teacher. he told me that I'd got an answer wrong because he asked for it to be stated "exactly" and I put 0.3 recurring (dot above the 3) rather than writing the symbol for a third.

I got that one at school years ago from a under-trained maths teacher. he told me that I'd got an answer wrong because he asked for it to be stated "exactly" and I put 0.3 recurring (dot above the 3) rather than writing the symbol for a third.

I very nearly typed.

0.\dot{3}

for my answer. But I doubt it'll work - lets see....

Edit: Nope. And I can't see them adding LaTeX to the forum anytime soon :)

The invalidity of Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and the consequential non-universality of Planck's equation for thermal spectra has profound implications for much of physics. Here is an example - the Sun. It has been maintained by astronomers for more than 150 years that the Sun (and stars) is a ball of hot gas. They claim that the temperature of the photosphere is ~5800 K but that of the corona in the millions of kelvin. Without Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and universality of Planck's equation, the solar and stellar physics of balls of hot gas fails. The Sun bears all the hallmarks of condensed matter, most likely liquid metallic hydrogen. This has been explained here:

Robitaille P.-M., Forty Lines of Evidence for Condensed Matter — The Sun on Trial: Liquid Metallic Hydrogen as a Solar Building Block, Progress in Physics, v.4, pp.90-142, 2013, http://vixra.org/abs/1310.0110

The invalidity of Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and the consequential non-universality of Planck's equation for thermal spectra has profound implications for much of physics. Here is an example - the Sun. It has been maintained by astronomers for more than 150 years that the Sun (and stars) is a ball of hot gas. They claim that the temperature of the photosphere is ~5800 K but that of the corona in the millions of kelvin. Without Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission and universality of Planck's equation, the solar and stellar physics of balls of hot gas fails. The Sun bears all the hallmarks of condensed matter, most likely liquid metallic hydrogen. This has been explained here:

Robitaille P.-M., Forty Lines of Evidence for Condensed Matter — The Sun on Trial: Liquid Metallic Hydrogen as a Solar Building Block, Progress in Physics, v.4, pp.90-142, 2013, http://vixra.org/abs/1310.0110

What experiments and/or measurements can be, or have been performed to test this hypothesis? Has the paper been peer reviewed?

The invalidity of Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission

You are going to have to prove that this is the case before anyone will take you seriously. Have you a suitable paper? Does it describe a well designed experimental setup that is repeatable, testable and falsifiable?

Obelix,

Is this an experiment ? Does it meet Karl Popper's Falsification Principle ?

And what's happening with Hawking ?

viXra.org > Thermodynamics and Energy > viXra:1602.0005

submit your paper viXra info

Go!

Thermodynamics and Energy

Add to Mendeley Add to Citeulike Add to Facebook

Further Insight Relative to Cavity Radiation III: Gedanken Experiments, Irreversibility, and Kirchhoff's Law

Authors: Pierre-Marie Robitaille

Recently, gedanken experiments have been proposed in order to examine the validity of Kirchhoff’s Law of Thermal Emission (P.-M. Robitaille, Further Insight Relative to Cavity Radiation: A Thought Experiment Refuting Kirchhoff’s Law, Prog. Phys., 2014, v. 10, no. 1, 38–40; P.-M. Robitaille, Further Insight Relative to Cavity Radiation II: Gedanken Experiments and Kirchhoff’s Law, Prog. Phys., 2014, v. 10, no. 2, 116–120). In the second of these works, real materials (i.e. graphite a nd silver) were utilized in order to construct two separate cavities at the same temperature which are then placed in thermal contact with one another. It was hypothesized that the graphite cavity initially contained blackbody radiation and that the silver cavity was devoid of radiation. In the case of the silver cavity, all of the energy of the system was assigned to the phonons in its walls. When the cavities were brought together and a small hole introduced between the cavities, it was hypothesized that thermal contact between the cavity walls would enable the transformation of phonon energy into photon energy, eventually resulting in filling the silver cavity with black radiation. Energy contained within the wall of the silver cavity was believed to be reversibly trapped. However, in allowing energy to flow reversibly out of the walls of the silver cavity in this context, it has been assumed that the silver conduction bands could be neglected and that only phonon energy need be considered. However, the reflectivity attributed to the silver cavity should be considered uniquely as a result of energy associated with the formation of its conduction bands. Such formation must be considered irreversible. It will be demonstrated that under these conditions Kirchhoff’s law, once again, does not hold. The lack of thermal radiation within the silver cavity does not lead to a violation of the second law of thermodynamics.

Edited by petemcewan

What point are you wishing to make Pete?

I have no intention whatsoever of spending a deal of time reading through an endless stream of crank papers, pointing out the errors, only to be given more papers and the retort "but what about this..."

Silver isn't a black body radiator for a start. At first glance from the abstract, no it's not the same.

Crothers has stated that the black body law, viz Kirchhoff and then by extension Planck is incorrect. I'm asking him to prove the assertion. That means a well defined, repeatable, falsifiable experiment, with datasets needs to eb done and then peer reviewed. Until then there is nothing more to say, except that his statements about the sun are not science, and are not even wrong.

(for a hint - whats the density of metallic hydrogen? Whats the mass of the sun if metallic hydrogen? plug those numbers into Newton and what happens?)

I have no intention whatsoever of spending a deal of time reading through an endless stream of crank papers, pointing out the errors, only to be given more papers and the retort "but what about this..."

Silver isn't a black body radiator for a start. At first glance from the abstract, no it's not the same.

Crothers has stated that the black body law, viz Kirchhoff and then by extension Planck is incorrect. I'm asking him to prove the assertion. That means a well defined, repeatable, falsifiable experiment, with datasets needs to eb done and then peer reviewed. Until then there is nothing more to say, except that his statements about the sun are not science, and are not even wrong.

(for a hint - whats the density of metallic hydrogen? Whats the mass of the sun if metallic hydrogen? plug those numbers into Newton and what happens?)

Cue link to pseudo-paper claiming that Chewbacca the Wookie should never have been on the planet Endor and therefore gravity does not exist.

OK, fair enough. I get your point about Popper Falsification Principle. It has been suggested, that a lot of scientific practice no longer bothers with Falsification. It's considered quaint.Old Karl will be turning in his grave.

The notion that everything outside of "orthodoxy" gets it wrong, make fundamental errors, is not believable or supportable. I'll answer my own question. It was an experiment supporting the assertion.

"Metallic hydrogen,plug into Newton." What happens then ? Thank you.

---------- Post added 22-04-2016 at 15:29 ----------

You're now posting links to a site that bills itself as "The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio"!

So what. I think Ghost rider post on here.

It's about Rover . Not the paranormal. It's the Internet is it not. It doesn't mention anything about little green men ! To wreck the words of Marshall McLuhan , It's the message not the medium.

Edited by petemcewan