Understanding the universe.

God made it. Whats to understand?

Yes, because one thing is sure, man didn't make the universe.

I think Douglas Adams answered that question best.

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

or maybe

Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?

Are you joking?

Yes. Very much so. I take it I fooled you :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-03-2016 at 00:51 ----------

Yes, because one thing is sure, man didn't make the universe.

Hallelujah! :clap::clap::clap:

I often have thoughts about things like this why are we here what are we here for...I think we are just a speck in the who thing we are here for a short time and gone.I often look up into the night sky and think what is really out there how far does the universe go is there other beings out there on some distant planet..I was brought up in very religious family and told that God made everything but I do seem to have doughts about that now as I get older.the older I get the more I think how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of life, science has made some fantastic discoveries about black holes and the big bang helping us to understand the universe a bit more.

I often have thoughts about things like this why are we here what are we here for...I think we are just a speck in the who thing we are here for a short time and gone.I often look up into the night sky and think what is really out there how far does the universe go is there other beings out there on some distant planet..I was brought up in very religious family and told that God made everything but I do seem to have doughts about that now as I get older.the older I get the more I think how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of life, science has made some fantastic discoveries about black holes and the big bang helping us to understand the universe a bit more.

Creationism is a comforting idea to those who refuse to accept that we're stuck on a rock floating aimlessly through space. Why an infinite universe would be built for our sole benefit is questionable.

As you are getting philosophical. Thomas kuhn in his book ,Structure of Scientific

Revolutions. Points out that there may be a limit to what the human brain can ever comprehend. Scientists and Cosmologist don't like such an idea.

Some people like to think of human evolution as a journey into becoming an ephemeral wispy energy field of pure mind. The result...... we understand everything .

I'm with Spike Milligan on Cosmology. "There's lights in the darkness, There's lights in the sky. The martians are coming. And they are coming from Mars" ! LOL In case you are interested. I'm making a terrestrial

study of -what appears to be alien life- in The Sheath Public House in

Heeley. Cheers.

Edited by petemcewan

Nobody can answer "yes" for definite and you'd have to be quite ignorant and/or arrogant to say "no".

The answer seems to be, quite obviously, "maybe".

Considering our relatively insignificant role in the grand scheme of things, perhaps "maybe" sounds a tad arrogant?

What exactly does the word "maybe" mean to you? :suspect:

I can highly recommend

Bill Bryson - A Short History Of Nearly Everting

It's fantastic, I downloaded the audio book onto my phone and listen to it whilst treadmilling. I'm so impressed I bought the actual book off amazon used.....H/B 50p - I kid you not!!

A fascinating book. Infact I'm going to listen to it again later on the treadmill!!

Good choice. I'd also recommend 'It's Not Rocket Science' by Ben Miller, 'How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog' by Chad Orzel, and even 'The Science of Discworld' by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen if you want light-hearted, reasonably easy to understand texts.

Probably not worth trying and of the Stephen Hawking books unless you are prepared for a long, hard ride.

God made it. Whats to understand?

How? And where's his toolbox?

I hope we never fully understand it to be honest, as it's the new discoveries that keep me excited. I was like a 5 year old waking up on Christmas day when I heard they'd actually measured gravitational waves and spent most of the day trying to make other people as excited as me. I failed. :(

What exactly does the word "maybe" mean to you? :suspect:

To me it means we may fully understand the incomprehensible complexities of the universe that defy our rules of contemporary physics and science one day.

Edited by danot

I hope we never fully understand it to be honest, as it's the new discoveries that keep me excited. I was like a 5 year old waking up on Christmas day when I heard they'd actually measured gravitational waves and spent most of the day trying to make other people as excited as me. I failed. :(

It is rather promising.

One or more suitable gravitational wave telescopes could now be constructed in space and or on the earth which would give great insight into the first few seconds after the big bang.

Such measurements would bring us a step closer to a unifying theory of physics.

With all due respect to LIGO, they're a discovery experiment and they don't have the sensitivity for a detailed gravitational wave map of the sky analogous to WMAP.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 10:18 ----------

We'll never understand everything.

The idea is to know all the rules on which the universe(s) operate(s).

Considering how much we've learned over the last hundred years or so, there's every reason to be optimistic.