Understanding the universe.

On 01/02/2019 at 13:18, Obelix said:

Increase your budget I'm afraid...

At that price I'd be looking for a good pair of 7x50 binoculars secondhand.

Maybe, but this is well received and looks to fit my bill. It also needs to be portable and compact-ish. I don't intend to sit there for hours just the odd hour, including taking it on holiday  in this country. 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

Edited by blackydog

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 13:05, Waldo said:

Something to consider...

That which is doing the understanding (or fathoming), *is*, the universe.

I can stand and look at my car, and see contemplate in it's entirety; but the universe is not like that. The universe is a set that includes everything, including us, our thoughts, and our observations of 'the universe'.

Never the less the part that's us may one day understand everything by understanding how we understand.

melthebell,

Yes, goes very nicely with Camp coffee.

A Gasses object cannot collapse.

It's Eddington who proposed that the Sun is a gas.

It blows my mind to think that when you look at the moon you're not looking at it as it is in that moment in real time, you're looking at it from approx. 15 minutes ago due to the fact that it takes that amount of time for the light that emanates of it to reach our eyeballs from where it is.

2 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

It blows my mind to think that when you look at the moon you're not looking at it as it is in that moment in real time, you're looking at it from approx. 15 minutes ago due to the fact that it takes that amount of time for the light that emanates of it to reach our eyeballs from where it is.

Light from the moon takes 1.3 seconds to reach the earth. 

5 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Light from the moon takes 1.3 seconds to reach the earth. 

Oh, I've been misinformed then...doh!

19 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Oh, I've been misinformed then...doh!

Light from the sun takes about 8 minutes 20 secs to reach the earth, so that's closer to your statistic. Interestingly, a photon takes many thousands (and potentially many millions) of years to get from the sun's core to its surface. 

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2019 at 17:29, petemcewan said:

A Gasses object cannot collapse.

Even if you spell it correctly the statement  'A gaseous object cannot collapse' is total nonsense .

Edited by Halibut