Understanding the universe.

9 hours ago, max said:

Are you saying that our erudite forum member SJCrothers is the same Crothers mentioned in this quote?

Well let's turn the clock back a few years to the very first post by forum member SJCrothers

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/423099-understanding-the-universe/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-7686115

I recommend Sci-man Dan on Youtube; he debunks flat earthers and a lot of general science based conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, Earthling said:

I recommend Sci-man Dan on Youtube; he debunks flat earthers and a lot of general science based conspiracy theories.

Lol - "science based" and "conspiracy theories" in the same sentence.

That rules out a lot of conspiracy theories - flat earth, 9/11, chemtrails, HAARP etc contain as much science as unicorns.

On 26/09/2019 at 19:43, Obelix said:

I don't have to prove Hawking is right. You claimed he was wrong. Prove it.

Waiting for your answers on

I've asked you to prove that equations should be balanced by character and your reason why.... So far no proof

I've asked you to comment on intrinsic temperature in a quantum field... So far no proof

You've been asked about the ideal gas equation so far we have an assertion..... And no proof.

I'm also expecting a apology from you for accusing me of academic dishonesty which you did without even looking at my data.

When you do the above we can move forwards. Well?

It's obvious that you have no understanding whatsoever of thermodynamics. Neither did Hawking, hence is fatal error. 

On 27/09/2019 at 02:00, Annie Bynnol said:

Am I wrong in thinking that a failure by one observer using one Soviet era set-up  30 years ago establishes that there is no CMB?

Am I wrong in thinking that none of these observations can be replicated?

Am I wrong in thinking that the CMB has been observed and measured by thousands of times by hundreds of observers on different equipment over fifty years?

Am I wrong in thinking that you a have not replicated any of his CMB observations? 

Am I wrong in saying that there is only one source for Professor Herouni's comments on his observations of CMB?

Given the choice putting my head in the sand to avoid your recommended "...video lectures..." in order to focus what real scientists are doing and saying-send more sand.

Yes, your are certainly wrong. Study professor Herouni's papers and explain why you think he is not right. There is no CMB.

On 26/09/2019 at 21:52, Obelix said:

I think it's a reasonable bet that they are the same people.

Dr. P.-M. Robitaille,

April 10th, 2019 - Claims of a Black Hole Image: the Day Astrophysics Died,

Sky Scholar, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI14fpM3ouU

On 26/09/2019 at 20:44, max said:

Are you saying that our erudite forum member SJCrothers is the same Crothers mentioned in this quote?

You omitted the scientists and mathematicians. Here they are:

http://www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com/Clinger.html

1 hour ago, SJCrothers said:

It's obvious that you have no understanding whatsoever of thermodynamics. Neither did Hawking, hence is fatal error. 

Yes, your are certainly wrong. Study professor Herouni's papers and explain why you think he is not right. There is no CMB.

Dr. P.-M. Robitaille,

Science does not move forward by quoting a coauthors work, which is also undewhe justlmingly praised by real professional scientists.

I think it is a dreadfully sad act to bring in a long dead engineer to support your denial of CRB.  It was not his fault that he worked in the Soviet era 25 years ago, only one source for his statement, that his work is unrepeatable because his data was collected on a device that was quickly abandoned, should not detract from his achievements. Association with repeatedly disproved table top maths sadly will.

On 05/10/2019 at 17:24, Longcol said:

Lol - "science based" and "conspiracy theories" in the same sentence.

That rules out a lot of conspiracy theories - flat earth, 9/11, chemtrails, HAARP etc contain as much science as unicorns.

What I mean is that he focus's on the conspiracy theories on the subject of science and astronomy, the denial of gravity, space, the moon and flat earth etc, not 911 and JFK and so on.

On 06/10/2019 at 15:46, SJCrothers said:

Dr. P.-M. Robitaille,

Despite all that asking still no proof from you.

Where is it please?

I know that Herouni is wrong because I have observed the isotropic radio background.

I've read the paper by Penzias and Wilson and the notes on that from Dicke and Peebles.

You have done nothing to repudiate their claims.

If you have the proof put up or shut up.

Mikes 10

Fascinating stuff,

Entanglement,hidden variables,supposition,and decoherence  -thrown into the mix.

So there we have it.Understanding the Universe ? It's a Wavefunction . And there are multiple universes which are completely inaccessible  to each other.  The things that happen in each of these universes have absolutely no effect on what happens in our universe. 

So is that the end of the story ? Of course not. There are battalions of scientist who think Quantum Theory is incomplete. Mikes 10,we can wait for the next thrilling

instalments to emerge.

Edited by petemcewan

I was reading yesterday that our milky way is going to eventually be eaten just like the galaxies that already have been. I tried to refind the BBC link but failed :(

Edited by melthebell

18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I was reading yesterday that our milky way is going to eventually be eaten just like the galaxies that already have been. I tried to refind the BBC link but failed :(

Think you are referring to the Andromeda.

Astronomers say if it does happen then you are looking at around 4 billon years from now...so you have enough time for a few pints yet Melthe.