Understanding the universe.

melthebell,

Yes, goes very nicely with Camp coffee.

A Gasses object cannot collapse.

It's Eddington who proposed that the Sun is a gas.

It blows my mind to think that when you look at the moon you're not looking at it as it is in that moment in real time, you're looking at it from approx. 15 minutes ago due to the fact that it takes that amount of time for the light that emanates of it to reach our eyeballs from where it is.

2 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

It blows my mind to think that when you look at the moon you're not looking at it as it is in that moment in real time, you're looking at it from approx. 15 minutes ago due to the fact that it takes that amount of time for the light that emanates of it to reach our eyeballs from where it is.

Light from the moon takes 1.3 seconds to reach the earth. 

5 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Light from the moon takes 1.3 seconds to reach the earth. 

Oh, I've been misinformed then...doh!

19 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Oh, I've been misinformed then...doh!

Light from the sun takes about 8 minutes 20 secs to reach the earth, so that's closer to your statistic. Interestingly, a photon takes many thousands (and potentially many millions) of years to get from the sun's core to its surface. 

If your really want a mind bending calculation, here is a link to the "Space Travel Calculator"

Instructions on how to use it are given on the web page.

Note the difference in the elasped time for the traveller and the observer

http://nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php

On 20/05/2019 at 17:29, petemcewan said:

A Gasses object cannot collapse.

Even if you spell it correctly the statement  'A gaseous object cannot collapse' is total nonsense .

Edited by Halibut

11 hours ago, Yeah but said:

Someone already corrected the time, but you should also note that no light emanates from the moon, light is reflected from the moon and emanates from the sun.

On 20/05/2019 at 15:03, petemcewan said:

The Sun, Gas or Condensed Matter? 

Why must the sun be homogenous when very little else is?

That said, the majority is a plasma isn't it (electrons are stripped from the atoms by the high temperature).

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Someone already corrected the time, but you should also note that no light emanates from the moon, light is reflected from the moon and emanates from the sun.

Why must the sun be homogenous when very little else is?

That said, the majority is a plasma isn't it (electrons are stripped from the atoms by the high temperature).

OK, but the point I was (struggling) to make is that the sight/image of the moon takes time to travel the distance from where it is to reach our eyes due to the distance. You could say this is time travel in a way and its mind blowing to me.

On 20/05/2019 at 15:03, petemcewan said:

The Sun, Gas or Condensed Matter? 

Plasma, with a possible core of degenerate matter..

It doesnt have sufficient mass to collapse past the Chandraskehar limit so will never make neutron degeneracy and the radiation from the core keeps the outer envelope convecting.