Understanding the universe.

Here is an interesting video: "The School Boys Who Cracked the Soviet Secret"

Of course the 'Spherically Challenged' amongst us will say it is all a hoax dreamed up by the Russians, Europeans and Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFmF9Gnp0A

Edited by Mikes10

Obelix,

It's not universally held that  I Catt wrote crap. I have in front of me. Digital Electronic Design. VOl 1. Catt, Walton and Davidson. I've read it from cover to cover several times. His lecturers speak for themselves. I prefer this discussion than the ramblings of FE's.

You never know,what goes between you and I may induce 

others to delve  into the science of electronics, communications

and electromagnetic theory and principles.

Edited by petemcewan

The Chinese have landed a probe on the dark side of the moon.

Maybe they can find the remains of " Ivor The Moon".

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

Just to be pedantic.. There is no "Dark Side" only a Far Side, unless you are a Pink Floyd fan that is.. :) but I do notice it its not flat.

Catt's ramblings about his transmission line theory and alternative electromagnetism are in fact s**t. They have no basis in fact, he cannot adequatley explain them, he cannot explain away existing theories that invalidate his theories and thats been the case since the late 1970's.

He might be an adequate designer, but that doesnt mean that he's an authority on the physics just because he can stick some components together. It's the same as car mechanic building an engine up from various parts - might be a very good mechanic but it doesnt mean they know diddly squat about heat engines and the Carnot cycle.

Maybe they can find the remains of " Ivor The Moon".

Obelix,

From Catt's book on Electromagnetism. 

It looks  -to me- to be a pretty good description of a travelling wave . He says , his theories are proven experimentally.

Interacting TEM waves.

Generally, the interaction of two TEM waves is thought to be covered by Maxwell's Equations. However, I have shown (Ref.9) that this is not so. Maxwell's Equations contain only;

(1)   the velocity of propagation of the TEM wave empty.gifeq1401M.gifempty.gif  and

(2)   the impedance of the medium  empty.gifeq1402M.gifempty.gif .

They contain no additional information about electromagnetism in general, let alone information on the way two colliding TEM waves interact. Even more curiously, the empirical laws governing reflection at a resistively terminated transmission line seem to be a body of knowledge divorced from Maxwell's Equations.

Partial reflection in a transmission line.

Fig11- Trensmission line reflections

It is found experimentally that if a TEM wave travels down a uniform transmission line empty.gifeq1403M.gifempty.gif  (Fig.11) joined to a different transmission line empty.gifeq1404M.gifempty.gif  , some of the energy current reflects at the discontinuity and some continues (Ref.10). The voltage reflection coefficient is found to be

empty.gifeq1405M.gifempty.gif .

In particular, if a pulse V travelling down a empty.gifeq1406M.gifempty.gif  transmission line at the speed of light collides into a empty.gifeq1407M.gifempty.gif  termination made up of three empty.gifeq1408M.gifempty.gif  resistors in series, then a empty.gifeq1409M.gifempty.gif  pulse reflects and empty.gifeq1410M.gifempty.gif  dissipates across the termination; ( empty.gifeq1411M.gifempty.gif  in each empty.gifeq1412M.gifempty.gif  resistor).

The front end of a long empty.gifeq1413M.gifempty.gif  transmission line looks exactly like a empty.gifeq1414M.gifempty.gif  resistor. The situation remains the same in Figure 12;

fig12- Coax serial junction

three downstream coaxial cables connected in series, mimicking the three empty.gifeq1415M.gifempty.gif  resistors, and also (Fig.13) a parallel plate transmission line delivering the pulse into three such lines in series.

fig13- Parallel plate junction

Our next step is to widen the parallel plates to infinity, and this gives us our simplest situation for analysis (Fig.14). Having reached this stage, we can set out to gain the broader insights which our experimental knowledge of reflection in transmission lines gives us.

fig14- Pulse enters junction

(Consideration of conservation of energy and also that the voltage across the discontinuity must be continuous lead us to the same formula for the reflection coefficient.)

Source: 

http://www.ivorcatt.com/em.htm

Edited by petemcewan

Yes.

Umm, so?

Despite his protestations over the last thirty or forty years this is not new stuff and is adequately explained. If he is still confused about reflections I think he needs to look at Kirchoff again.

Obelix,

I'll go and delve into Kirchoff. 

Just a point I think you will appreciate. One of the hallmarks of good science is that the results of experiments are repeatable by other scientists. I presume that  Catt's critics 

have found that the results of his experiments cannot be duplicated.

I think it's more that they dont actually understand what hes rambling on about half the time so cant even begin to start figuring it out.

Electromagnetic Waves demonstration by Sir Lawrence Bragg

For anyone interested in EM waves this video is well worth viewing.
Around 9 minutes into the presentation, demo of microwaves focused using an optical lens.

Edited by Mikes10