Understanding the universe.

To me it means we may fully understand the incomprehensible complexities of the universe that defy our rules of contemporary physics and science one day.

"Maybe" to most people, means the "possibly".

If I had said "probably" then I agree it would have been arrogant.

I didn't though and I think the thought that it could be a possibility is fair enough.

"Maybe" to most people, means the "possibly".

If I had said "probably" then I agree it would have been arrogant.

I didn't though and I think the thought that it could be a possibility is fair enough.

Okay, but do you realistically see it happening in terms of probability?

Will mankind ever fathom the mysteries of the universe or is it beyond our comprehension? We are only microorganisms in essence.

Something to consider...

That which is doing the understanding (or fathoming), *is*, the universe.

I can stand and look at my car, and see contemplate in it's entirety; but the universe is not like that. The universe is a set that includes everything, including us, our thoughts, and our observations of 'the universe'.

Something to consider...

That which is doing the understanding (or fathoming), *is*, the universe.

I can stand and look at my car, and see contemplate in it's entirety; but the universe is not like that. The universe is a set that includes everything, including us, our thoughts, and our observations of 'the universe'.

We're the recycled produce of preexisting matter. I wonder what we'll become next?

..... I'm making a terrestrial

study of -what appears to be alien life- in The Sheath Public House in

Heeley. Cheers.

Great condom machine in that pub

How? And where's his toolbox?

In the mind of those who love him of course.

stoned, do you believe in aliens or the possibility/probability of them?

I can highly recommend

Bill Bryson - A Short History Of Nearly Everting

It's fantastic, I downloaded the audio book onto my phone and listen to it whilst treadmilling. I'm so impressed I bought the actual book off amazon used.....H/B 50p - I kid you not!!

A fascinating book. Infact I'm going to listen to it again later on the treadmill!!

Understanding the universe on the treadmill of time - fascinating.

It is rather promising.

One or more suitable gravitational wave telescopes could now be constructed in space and or on the earth which would give great insight into the first few seconds after the big bang.

Such measurements would bring us a step closer to a unifying theory of physics.

With all due respect to LIGO, they're a discovery experiment and they don't have the sensitivity for a detailed gravitational wave map of the sky analogous to WMAP.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 10:18 ----------

We'll never understand everything.

The idea is to know all the rules on which the universe(s) operate(s).

Considering how much we've learned over the last hundred years or so, there's every reason to be optimistic.

If you are interested . Take a thorough look at the "Electric Universe" as a competing theory with the Big Bang. Don't reject it without attempting to compare theories. Amongst cosmologist there is a debate being held, as to the increasing "esoteric "(weird and wonderful ) nature of cosmology tied to the Big Bang. I think -certainly in my lifetime - some serious rethinking around the

Big Bang and the Electric Universe.

Will mankind ever fathom the mysteries of the universe or is it beyond our comprehension?
I do believe its beyond our ability to understand!!

I do believe its beyond our ability to understand!!

I think there's a discussion somewhere that there is possibly a limit to humankind's intelligence. Even if we evolve for a million years (if we don't erase ourselves from the planet) there will be things about the universe we will never understand. That's how the discussion went when I last read it ages ago.

I think there are plant of books around laying claim to a "theory of everything".

How? And where's his toolbox?

the universe is the toolbox, you can tell that because some of it's inhabitants are tools