Colonialism - is the alternative worse?

The whole of Africa, give or take, can be said to have failed. This is despite millions in aid from US and Europe. Now they are exporting their people to the west. So as their homelands stay the same or even get worse their people are swamping us, more and more every day. The end result for liberal democracies with a death wish looks grim. I am so glad I have no children and that I am old enough to be shortly off. Europe is on the brink.

Which African countries have a high emigration rate to the West?

Eritrea does. Mainly because of terrible conscription which had no end date once you'd been forced to sign up and you were effectively used as free labour for the government. I *believe* that the UN is putting a considerable amount of pressure on them to change this and the government has says it will but nothing appears to have changed.

Although I suppose you will need to specify 'high' in this context...UN reckons at least 9% of the country has left since 2012 the vast majority trying to claim asylum in the EU so I'd say that was fairly high...

Eritrea, somalia, nigeria, sudan, tunisia, algeria, morocco, libya.

You've asked the question and had some answers.

Care to enlighten us why you asked?

What do you glean from the answers?

With the exception of Nigeria the obvious link is that they are nearest.

Poverty is caused by GREED simple as that.

Last week the president of South Africa spent half a million pounds celebrating his birthday,yet there is a drought and people are going hungry the charities will soon be begging for money.

For over a thousand years,until the turn of the century, Palestine was populated overwhelmingly by Arabs,mostly Muslim,some Christian. A few thousand Jews lived beside them in peace.

This peace was shattered as a wave of anti-semitism swept through Europe in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Millions of Jewish people fled the pogroms-anti Jewish massacres, incited by the Tars in Russia . Most went to the USA and Canada. A small number 120000 went to Palestine. They adopted Zionism, the idea that anti-semitism would always exist and therfore it was necessary to set up an exclusively Jewish state.

At the end of the First World War, British forces took control of Palestine from the Ottomans Empire. Palestine then had a population of over a million Arabs and 56,000 Jews. The British promised to grant independance to the Arabs,but secretly negotiated and promised support for " a national homeland for the Jews " in Palestine.

A bitter and bloody conflict followed with the Palestinians facing an alliance of the British and the Zionists. Arab peasants were evicted from their land. They were not allowed to work as labourers on settlements or sells their produce at settlers markets.

The palestinians staged a massive general strike in 1936 against the British for their betrayal of the promises of independance. It lasted 6 months and was followed by two years of uprisings and guerilla war. The British responded with brutal repression. One third of all the troops in the British Empire were deployed in Palestine. The RAF bombed village after villiage. In other villages the British army simple shot every tenth villager (learnt that from the Fascists of WW 2. ) . A shameful period in the history of the British army. My father who was a WW 2 infantry Vet, spat on that history of the British army.

Palestine was finally partioned by the United Nations in 1947. They promised "justice" for both Arabs and Jews. Jewish settlers still owned 6 % of the land and made up 30 % of the population. Nevertheless, the UN gave the Jewish settlers 55 % of Palestine.

This stillwasn't enough for the Zionists. They set about expanding the borders of the proposed state of Israel . They drove another 750 ,000 Palestinians from their homes and seized over 80% of the land.

Their methods were savage .In 1948 the village of Deir Yasin was razed to the ground. Of 400 villagers only 50 survived. The Eyewitnesses from the Red Cross reported the bodies of children mutilated by hand grenades.

(Generalised potted history of Israel and Palestinian conflict)

Thank you Pete :)

Good to know that the Truth remains the TRUTH

However many people try to lie around it.

Antisemitism remains antisemitism.

It's disgraceful that people like you and petemcewan peddle antisemetic propoganda however much you try to deny it.

You no more care for Palestinians than you do for East Timoreans.

You've asked the question and had some answers.

Care to enlighten us why you asked?

What do you glean from the answers?

With the exception of Nigeria the obvious link is that they are nearest.

It's simply that the news is reporting millions of displaced Syrians, but I've heard nothing about the West being "swamped" with African migrants, which was the claim made.

I don't think it's true btw. I think the poster didn't even know where Syria was.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 08:30 ----------

Eritrea, somalia, nigeria, sudan, tunisia, algeria, morocco, libya.

Just fact checking one that stood out for me.

http://www.indexmundi.com/morocco/net_migration_rate.html

Morocco has net immigration, not emigration...

So does Tunisia whilst I'm looking...

http://www.indexmundi.com/tunisia/net_migration_rate.html

Was this just the entire list of North African countries that you could name?

Even if you are economical with the truth.........

I could have said:-

On 14th May 1948 the British mandate ended.

On 15th May 1948 Four Arab Army's invaded to "sweep the Jews into the Sea"

This is the truth. But I wouldn't be so naive and crass to present it as an explanation of the situation.

Full accounts with both sides of the argument mentioned:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947%E2%80%9348_Civil_War_in_Mandatory_Palestine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deir_Yassin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Arab%E2%80%93Israeli_War

Flanker7 stop using facts. Everyone knows that it's evil Jews Zionists that are to blame.

On 15th May 1948 Four Arab Army's invaded to "sweep the Jews into the Sea"

Break this down for me Flanker

What are you trying to say here?

"Nearly 5,000 Arabs and 500 Jews died"

Edited by Solomon1