Muslim country moves to ban burqa and Islamic veils in public places

Egypt has started down the road of banning the burqa and other full face veils in public, calling them un-islamic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-drafts-bill-to-ban-niqab-veil-in-public-places-a6920701.html

MP Amna Nosseir, professor of comparative jurisprudence at Al-Azhar University, who has backed the ban, said that wearing the veil is not a requirement of Islam and in fact has non-Islamic origins. She has argued that it is a Jewish tradition which appeared in the Arabian Peninsula prior to Islam and that a variety of Quran passages contradict its use. Instead, she has advocated that the Quran calls for modest clothing and covered hair, but does not require facial covering.

If Muslim countries can ban the burqa, which I personally dislike and feel is a tool used to impose subversion on women in some muslim communities, why is our own culture/country so afraid of also banning these?

I understand the angle of not wishing to ban something so innocuous (to a point) to the rest of us, but we can't hide from the fact these garments are used to varying degrees to oppress women.

I don't advocate the banning of all religious head garments, but I feel the nuns habit/muslim hijab is as far as it should go in public.

Turkey only recently rescinded the law barring women from covering their faces.

Egypt has started down the road of banning the burqa and other full face veils in public, calling them un-islamic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-drafts-bill-to-ban-niqab-veil-in-public-places-a6920701.html

If Muslim countries can ban the burqa, which I personally dislike and feel is a tool used to impose subversion on women in some muslim communities, why is our own culture/country so afraid of also banning these?

I understand the angle of not wishing to ban something so innocuous (to a point) to the rest of us, but we can't hide from the fact these garments are used to varying degrees to oppress women.

I don't advocate the banning of all religious head garments, but I feel the nuns habit/muslim hijab is as far as it should go in public.

Good luck with that one.

Angel1.

Good luck with that one.

Angel1.

Most of the ikwans leaders are either dead or in jail waiting to be dead. It's as good a time as any for the military to purge islamist symbols. It worked for turkey for nearly 100 years before the current git got in.

Good luck with that one.

Angel1.

hmmm. Brave of them to speak out. Wonder who'll be the first for the chop?

Those who disagree at a guess. She's a member of the supreme council, they define what islam is (and isn't) for Egyptians. If she says burquas are a jewish thing with nowt to do with islam, thats what they are. And the supreme council report direct to the president so you an guarentee this comes from the top.

Subjugation.

How can you square the idea of creating freedom by taking away freedom?

How can you square the idea of creating freedom by taking away freedom?

How many women in full face veils wear them through choice and how many because family/husband say they have to?

How many women in full face veils wear them through choice and how many because family/husband say they have to?

That still doesn't answer Cyclone's question. A woman freely choosing and a woman forced to are two completely different issues. If a woman is forced to then it's the act of forcing against her will which is illegal. Banning freedoms on the basis a freedom is manipulated isn't rational. Many culturally White men force or manipulate (control) their women from contact with others...should we ban women from having contact with others simply because male control freaks exist?

I don't have much of an opinion on burqa's either way. I do sometimes wonder, though - the women who freely choose to wear them, if they hadn't been exposed to the cultural trend (or whatever else you want to call it) from birth, would they freely choose to wear it if the idea was introduced only at adulthood?

(My thinking is along the same lines as men who had circumcision forced on them as infants and say they are happy with it, would they freely choose, as a thinkng adult, to go and have some of their todger cut off?)

Burqas are the result of the same wider cultural influences as ritual male and female genital mutilation.

No woman ever woke up one morning and decided that today's fashion statement will be a burqa. Veils are best kept for weddings and funerals.