Please help with my family tree

I think that was the address, I cant really remember as I was so young and innocent back then.....:hihi:

I phoned my dad's sister up with this information and she recalls my Nannan having two sisters called Betty and Mabel, I dont know how true this is because my family sounds so secretive, as she also told me my Nannan had a baby and which it had died.

I dont know how true this! I also phoned my dad up and he thinks he recalls my nannnan saying that Catherine had a daughter which also died, I will try and ask the others about this.

Sorry to sound :confused: but where would I look for this information, my dad says library and my aunt says town hall, which is right? They both insist they both right

Hi Kate.

Town Hall is out.....Parish registers, general register office indexes, census and other resources relevent to family history are deposited at the archives.

The local studies library on Surrey Street also holds various resources Post Office directories, Electoral registers and newspapers are amongst their holdings.

Tuppie

Oops just saw that Tuppie had already worked this out - I missed the second page of the thread and I am miles behind!

The simplest way to proceed is to get your friend's nan's birth certificate. It will cost a few pounds but she needs it anyway to prove relationships before going back further in time. The certificate will have both her parents names and her mother's maiden name.

Meanwhile, here is a little detective work:D

You say the grandmother was born in 1922. What was her first name ?! In the birth index available at ancestry there are only 2 WHITTINGHAMs born in Sheffield in 1922 as follows:

1922 MAR Qtr

WHITTINGHAM Dorothy mother's maiden name: HOOLEY

ref: Sheffield 9c 1104

1922 JUN Qtr

WHITTINGHAM Annie E mother's maiden name: WRIGHT

ref: Sheffield 9c 1118

I haven't traced a WHITTINGHAM/WRIGHT marriage, but here is the other one:

GRO Marriage DEC Qtr 1917

WHITTINGHAM George

HOOLEY Catherine

ref: Sheffield 9c 1249

Catherine=Kate so if the grandmother's name was Dorothy then this looks a good bet - unless Annie's mother was also Kate ! If the grandmother was not called Dorothy then back to the drawing board.

Hugh

Hi all I know is that my Grandmother was called Emma and she had 2 sisters called Mabel and Betty (maybe Elizabeth never liked the woman), and that my Great grandmother was called Kate but could have been christened Catherine.

Hi Kate

As Hugh stated you now need to apply for the birth certificate of your gran Emma Her birth is registered in the Mar Q of 1923 ref Sheffield 9C 1078. If her mothers name is Catherine HOOLEY and her father is George WHITTINGHAM then you can apply for the marriage certificate, that we have given you the reference for. The marriage certificate will give their ages and fathers names with occupations, this should take you back to the 1901 and earlier census.

You can apply for the certificate online at:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

The cost is £7

If you require a search of the census then post a message here:

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk/

Regards

Tuppie

Thanks Tuppie I'm going into town on Friday so I'll pop into the libary also got to look for a job so I'll pop in.

Thanks for all your help everyone!:)

Hi, I have a tree on Genes Reunited, some Whittinghams were in Sheffield and there still are.:)