Please help with my family tree

Found at 24 Bassldene, F. Whittingham next to St Swithun's Parochial Hall.

Do you mean Johnson Street, Wicker

retep-------

Very strange, I entered Sheffield for the census and came up with no record found, after your message I omitted Sheffield and found several Whitingham's in Sheffield. I cannot recall that happening before.

Cynthia.

Always start with as little information as you can, and work from there,

Sheffield's district's some times get in the way.

retep----

I have just about done all the research that I can on my family.

My fathers maternal ancestors to before the 1500s, with a lot of help from a local researcher. The rest of my ancestors to the early 1700s.

If I had started years ago when I lived in England and was a lot younger, then perhaps I would have been able to go further back by consulting the PRs.

My descendants will have be satisfied with what I have acheived.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada

Hi Kate.

I thought if she wanted to have the certificate then it would cost her but surely not to have a look.

You can check the General Register Office indexes for free, to find when a marriage was registered.These are available at Sheffield archives. You need to work backwards, proving each generation as you go.

People Called her grandmother Kate Whittingham me and her boyfriend believe Kate Whittingham must have been born around 1900 as her Nannan was born 1922.

What was or is the christian name of her Grandmother (nannan) if she was born in 1922 then the indexes will give her mothers maiden name....?

I have only found 1 WHITTINGHAM registered in Sheffield in the March Q of 1922 and her name is Dorothy, mothers maiden name HOOLEY,thats assuming she was born in Sheffield.

Working back from this birth there is a marriage in the Dec Q 1917 at Sheffield for a George WHITTINGHAM and Catherine (Kate?) HOOLEY ref 9C 1249.

Tuppie

Cynthia-

Dont we all wish we had started earlier, perhaps a bit of advice for some of the younger ones now that computers are on the scene.

You have done well, from afar,- its not easy even when you have access to local records.

Hi Tuppy, I know who you are. !!!! You helped me so much with my research that I would never have found my maternal ggrandparents without your help.

I see that you are still helping others.

You found my Ggrandparents recorded as Casnan instead of Camm.

Thanks again, Cynthia, Canada.

Hi Cynthia

Hi Tuppy, I know who you are. !!!! You helped me so much with my research that I would never have found my maternal ggrandparents without your help.

I see that you are still helping others.

Ssssshhhh...it keeps me busy

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Tuppie

Hi everyone, I asked my dad again about the road my Great Grandma Kate lived on and he says it was definitely John Street, my dad's mum was called Emma Whittingham before she married Walter Ratcliffe (my fathers dad) then my nannan married Clifford Boldock.

As for my Great Grandma Kate everyone called her Kate but yet she could have been christened Catherine, I'm not really sure as the Ratcliffe's and Boldock's dont seem to get so I cant really ask anyone but my father and his sister.

Hi Kate

That helps a lot...I searched for a death in 1995 for Emma BOLDOCK, this was registered in the June Q and gave her date of birth as 21 Dec 1922. Her birth is registered in the Mar Q of 1923 ref Sheffield 9C 1078. The outcome is the same her mothers maiden name is HOOLEY, and I gave you the details of a marriage in 1917 for George WHITTINGHAM and Catherine HOOLEY...Kate is short for Catherine.

You would need to get the marriage certificate, which will give their ages and fathers names. With this information you should be able to find them on the 1901 census and previous census.

Regards

Tuppie

Thank you ever so much, I will pass this on to my dad when I see him tomorrow as he's getting into this family tree business. I will look more into this as soon as possible

17 Bassledene road Clifford Baldock