Please help with my family tree

Hi I'm posting this for a friend of my mine who is doing her family tree, the thing she is having problems with is that she has got her great grandmother but has no idea who her great grandfather, a friend of her's has told her to go to the local libery in town to look at marriages and death or something or something long these lines but she wants to know if it will cos her to look. I thought if she wanted to have the certificate then it would cost her but surely not to have a look.

Can anyone help her? :help::) :) :D

If you're looking for an unknown male ancestor then the easiest way to do it is look for either the great-grandmother's marriage certificate or the birth certificate of the grand[mother/father - delete as appropriate]. If the certificate was issued after 1837* then there should be a copy at the General Register Office (http://www.gro.gov.uk) - if before then you'll need to consult the Parish Register.

I think ancestry.co.uk also has an index of these certificates, as well as all UK census data since 1851 - you can sign up for a two week trial and search for people on the basis of surname, time and place - if your relatives have unusual surnames then it will help you a lot!

If you need any more info let me know - my mum has been doing this non-stop and as a consequence I've become quite an authority on the matter... ;)

* I think!

People Called her grandmother Kate Whittingham me and her boyfriend believe Kate Whittingham must have been born around 1900 as her Nannan was born 1922.

Whittingham is believed to be her married name!

please dont think i am being sarcy but have your tried friends re-united as someone on there might be of some help, i used it for mine and it was great

Yeah she's joined to that but nothing on Kate Whittingham comes up and she doesnt know her maiden name and sadly her nannan passed away in 1995 so she is at a dead end, she's asked family about the Whittinghams but they only remember kate whittingham and nothing more

i when backwards and sideways and spoke to loads of people, other than this i cant be off help, try posting on here see if anyone knew off her?

Hope it all goes ok

Lady x

Me 2 cos this is her account I dont really know how to use it, I'm doing this for her but I'll pass everything on to her from you all

I have searched the Free BDM + Later Day Saints from 1914 to 1929 and the Sheffield Indexers 1841 census, I cannot find a Whittingham marriage.

Sorry. Cynthia, Ontario.

Since my last email I have searched the 1881 census, there are no Whittinghams in Sheffield recorded.

I thought that all my ancestors came from Yorkshire until I started to search then I found that my paternal grandmothers family all came from Staffordshire, my paternal grandfathers family came from Nottinghamshire, and my maternal grandfather & grandmother's family came from Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire & Northumberland. They all migrated in later years to Sheffield to find work.

Cynthia

I found out today that they lived on John street in the wicker.My Nan moved up to Baseldean Road (Sorry if I spelt this wrong) up on the manor but my aunts and uncles cannot remember they grandfather just they grandmother Kate Whittingham.

My dad knows her name was Kate because I'm actually named after her something I never knew until today :).

Never knew that doing a family tree would be this hard lol