Car Remap / EGR Advice required

Not sure if something will get any reply on but thought I would ask.

Got a 2011 VW Golf 1.6 TD. For a week had a problem with glow plus showing on cask. Had diagnostics run and shows faulty EGR. Apparently common fault on this model.

Had a few quotes to replace from £500 to £900. My dilemma is I have looked into having EGR and with it DPF removed and remapped from 105 to 140 BHP. Quote I have is £400 and been told car will run like a dream after.

Just got a lot of uncertainty so any advice or opinion much appreciated.

Did dot bring in if car was fitted at factory with a dpf it had to have it fitted for its mot ? Otherwise it was a instant failure ?

if you remove the dpf your car will fail its MOT. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2562046/Diesel-cars-particulate-filter-removed-fail-MOT.html I had my car remapped last year from 115 to 170, its made a world of difference especially when towing and it uses less fuel as well but mine doesn't have a dpf fitted anyway.

I was told how they do it it would appear the DPF is still there. Certainly food for thought.

As I understand it the dpf box is removed, the top of the box is cut open and the filter removed then the top welded back.

Unless the mot garage can tell it has been removed it will pass. But my mechanic has said some new technolohy is coming in to check if if the dpf is working.

Those egr's and dpf are ruining having a diesel. Unless you are doing some mileage and making the engine work then the days of a diesel run around are coming to an end.

As I understand it the dpf box is removed, the top of the box is cut open and the filter removed then the top welded back.

Unless the mot garage can tell it has been removed it will pass. But my mechanic has said some new technolohy is coming in to check if if the dpf is working.

Those egr's and dpf are ruining having a diesel. Unless you are doing some mileage and making the engine work then the days of a diesel run around are coming to an end.

Yes, thats what I have been told by the remap company.

I do about 40 - 50 miles a day mainly motorway so car getting plenty of use.

Just get an EGR blanking plate for under a fiver.

As for the DPF, that really shouldn't need replacing yet, unless its just been used for pootling around on local journeys, or is a high miler (100K+).

Normally I'd say keep your DPF system as per factory spec. Its just one of those things you have to factor into running a car, a bit like a CAT. I usually recommend CATS2U for replacements, but its a staggering £720 for a replacement!

Just be aware:

Fully removing the DPF is an MOT fail, the inspection is visual only so hollowing it out can pass the test.

It's illegal and an it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations

(I don't know if anyone has actually been prosecuted for it though, it's quite common so I doubt it.)

You have to be careful with those services, some are actually ok and some are crap.

Terraclean is one that people often have good experiences with.

You have to be careful with those services, some are actually ok and some are crap.

Terraclean is one that people often have good experiences with.

I used the company I posted the link to on my toyota previa...there was a definate improvement in the car, and the emissions dropped by over 60% :thumbsup:

It also sorted out the cat problem I had.

There's a place near Crystal peaks,egr delete and a remap for shout £150. Not sure of the co. NAME tho. Don't forget to physically blank the egr tho