Which Fiesta would be most economical

Why the need for at least 100ps?

because 100ps is the 'least' they do from the 1 litre turbo engine :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Personal opinion only but stuffing a 1 litre into a fiesta or a 1.2 into a golf and getting the required performance from a turbo will do nothing for the car's longevity. It's like pumping a Shetland pony full of steroids and asking it to do the work of a plough horse.

Yes, but unfortunately due to emissions and economy constraints you now can't just shove a decent sized engine in the car and get away with it, so the turbo option is the obvious route.

FWIW the car is really designed for nipping around town and the occasional longer journey, it was never designed to be a motorway mile muncher, so chances are most of the stuff on the car isn't designed to do much over 100K reliably.

Why the need for at least 100ps? A car with lesser will easy do the maximum limits and will only lag behind the competitive sports car brigade.

Personal opinion only but stuffing a 1 litre into a fiesta or a 1.2 into a golf and getting the required performance from a turbo will do nothing for the car's longevity. It's like pumping a Shetland pony full of steroids and asking it to do the work of a plough horse.

I thought that they did a 80ps version for some reason, having checked it seems they don't.

You may see it that way but it seems to be the way all manufacturers are going for the interim period until "electric car" technology breaks through fully and does away with the majority of petrol/diesel cars. I guess only time will tell as to their longevity but the 1litre ecoboost engine has received near universal critical acclaim, and driving it is a great experience. You can even get the same lump in the Mondoe!

Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy driving it as much as the 2litre n/a hot hatch that I had before but it's way more comfortable and refined and a considerable amount cheaper to run.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 20:07 ----------

FWIW the car is really designed for nipping around town and the occasional longer journey, it was never designed to be a motorway mile muncher, so chances are most of the stuff on the car isn't designed to do much over 100K reliably.

I should point out that at 70 on the motorway it feels as quiet, stable and comfortable as any other car in it's class.

*I don't work for Ford, honest.

Edited by bkcin

I had the 1.25 a few years ago not sure if its the same engine as they have now anyway it was really underpowered on the hills particularly in the peaks you were for ever changing gear.

Changed for the 1.6s which I still have and has more than enough power.

Would be careful of low powered engines you read the reviews that say they are adequate but they obviously don't use them on the hills we have!

I had the 1.25 a few years ago not sure if its the same engine as they have now anyway it was really underpowered on the hills particularly in the peaks you were for ever changing gear.

Would be careful of low powered engines you read the reviews that say they are adequate but they obviously don't use them on the hills we have!

Hence the 1.0 ecoboost being the better option against the 1.25; it has ~50% more torque and 25% more bhp.

I thought that they did a 80ps version for some reason, having checked it seems they don't.

They do, but it's not a Turbo so not really EcoBoost more just Eco.

It's crap to drive apparently, no surprise really.

riving it is a great experience. You can even get the same lump in the Mondoe!

Yea but seriously don't it's horrible, it doesn't work in the Focus either - both cars are way too big for the 1.0 litre engine so you've gotta rag the crap outa them to get it moving.

You just get crap MPG as it's full throttle everywhere.

The Fiesta is light enough to get the best out of the engine, it's a perfect match.

Ford are also going to be putting the 1.0 turbo in the EcoSport, that'll be horrific to drive, that cars 'orrible!!

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 10:39 ----------

I should point out that at 70 on the motorway it feels as quiet, stable and comfortable as any other car in it's class.

I'm not arguing with you, but 70 on the motorway in a Passat is like sitting at home on your sofa - the cars built to cruise long distances so naturally it's designed to do more miles.

If you look at the two with 150K on (in the future) the large barge will be relatively tight still, the smaller hatch would have all sorts of odd rattles going on.

Edited by geared

I'm not arguing with you, but 70 on the motorway in a Passat is like sitting at home on your sofa - the cars built to cruise long distances so naturally it's designed to do more miles.

If you look at the two with 150K on (in the future) the large barge will be relatively tight still, the smaller hatch would have all sorts of odd rattles going on.

Of course a car like a Passat is going to be better suited for that kind of driving and likely be in better condition after 150k miles (they're twice the price for starters :hihi:) What I mean is that compared to the previous 5-6 small cars I've had, the Mk7 Fiesta is much more comfortable on the motorways.

Looking to buy Ford Fiesta but not sure which would be the Best Buy, 1.25 Zetec or 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec, not going to be travelling long journeys,

Is this a trick question?! Or am I missing something?

Bkcin, thanks looks like we will be going for the 1 litre ecoboost

about time you upgraded Fudbeer get yourself a little sporty number lol

Why the need for at least 100ps? A car with lesser will easy do the maximum limits and will only lag behind the competitive sports car brigade.

Spose that's why they have been bolting Turbos on truck engines that do half a million miles between rebuilds for the last 40 years!

Looking to buy Ford Fiesta but not sure which would be the Best Buy, 1.25 Zetec or 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec, not going to be travelling long journeys,

get the one with lowest tax rating