Council tax rise approved

But democracy is crucial. Without it, we are diminished.

Democracy?

With THIS Labour Council??

You're havin a laugh mate! :hihi:

Democracy?

With THIS Labour Council??

You're havin a laugh mate! :hihi:

I wasn't.

I was having a sensible debate with a sensible forum member.

Do you mind if we continue without you?

We should always aspire to be better.

But democracy is crucial. Without it, we are diminished.

I could not agree more, and I think that people should exploit their right to a completely democratic vote by weighing up the pros and cons of each party and making an informed decision.

I'm not saying that people DON'T do that, but I get the impression that many just put a cross in the box, the same as they did the time before and the time before that.

We have a democratic right to vote for whoever we like and that's something every country on the planet should have (ideal world), but I really would like to think that people are voting with their hearts, having made an informed decision based on published manifestos, hear everyone out.

People should be grateful that we have democracy, and use it to it's full potential!

It may be democracy on paper but ultra safe seats / councils (of whichever political persuasion) mean, in reality, there is no such thing.

My vote is effectively worthless.

This all simply boils down to one thing, SCC can do whatever the hell they like and get away with it, people will moan, but they won't vote anyone else in. It seems to be a case of, lets vote Labour in again and hope they might just be slightly less crap this time round... oh wait.

They're not stupid, if only the voting population would come to this realisation.

Do you want to go and look at the last 15 years of Sheffield Council? If you think we all just vote in Labour again and again then I suspect you might be amazed and then you can come back and tell the forum that you were wrong.

How much is the council owed in unpaid Council Tax?

From what I have been told they try very hard to get the money, sometimes too hard for some. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1218015

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/council-tax/if-you-dont-pay-on-time/i-have-received-a-summons.html

So I'm paying for your rent decrease? That makes perfect sense. Thanks Labour & SCC!

I'd much rather my hard earned cash goes towards some freeloaders rent reduction than the social care you said it would be funding. Got to love this council.

what arrogant post why are we free loaders most council houses are lived in by working people arrogant prick

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 19:31 ----------

So.

You aren't a fan of democracy then.

Do you have an alternative system that you would lke to champion?

truth though labour are ruining sheffield again

So I'm paying for your rent decrease? That makes perfect sense. Thanks Labour & SCC!

I'd much rather my hard earned cash goes towards some freeloaders rent reduction than the social care you said it would be funding. Got to love this council.

Council tax has nothing to with rent (Housing revenue account)

Not sure of the total but the Council collects around 97% of council tax which brings in £172m. So around £5m a year is not collected. Sheffield is by no means the worst for collection rates. Salford and Manchester head up the list of worst performers at 91%

If they cant collect it they cant spend it and I'm sure they do everything they can to do so, but unfortunately there is always a small minority who choose to evade this, and all taxes.

Not sure of the total but the Council collects around 97% of council tax which brings in £172m. So around £5m a year is not collected. Sheffield is by no means the worst for collection rates. Salford and Manchester head up the list of worst performers at 91%

If they cant collect it they cant spend it and I'm sure they do everything they can to do so, but unfortunately there is always a small minority who choose to evade this, and all taxes.

and council tax only makes up a small part of the city council's funding.

So around £5m a year is not collected. Sheffield is by no means the worst for collection rates. Salford and Manchester head up the list of worst performers at 91%

and council tax only makes up a small part of the city council's funding.

ah well... why the heck am I bothering then? :rolleyes: