Council tax rise approved

Ask the UKIP Councillor, Jack Clarkson, to expand on his comments and name the councilors?

Just read the article from the Star regarding the Council Tax rise, why was the council discussing what goes on in Syria and the EU, when they should be trying to resolve the problems we have here in Sheffield. If they discussed the real things that affected Sheffield, the meetings would be shorter, so saving on heating and electricity.

A couple of points raised by the forum, collect all the Cities debts is a must, employ collectors on a percentage basis pay and watch the money come in. Do Councillors need over £100k wages to be able live comfortably in Sheffield? Put a cap of £100k and tie the extra pay into point one.

Do councilors get wages of £100K? I thought I would check before I replied so here is the link to the allowances paid, check your figures here and tell me who is getting £100K https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/councillors/councillors-allowances.html

Which councillors receive over £100k?

I think he may have meant council employees on over 100k but I think you knew that anyway :roll:

I think he may have meant council employees on over 100k but I think you knew that anyway :roll:

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, it seems he got this story from Jack Clarkson.

I pay council tax to Rotherham (I know, I know) and theirs also went up by 4%. If you look more closely it's due to change in adult social care funding being added onto standard council tax (perhaps a loophole?) so the ACTUAL council tax states it increased by 1.99% (so it doesn't need a local referendum) and the other 2.01% was increases to support of adult care. Now whether someone wants to run an FoI in a year's time to see if every penny of that 2.01% actually went to adult social care it'd be interesting...

I would imagine if you look more closely at the bill from Sheffield that things will be the same. Just seen Jonny5 had already said the same thing about how the increase was done.

I pay council tax to Rotherham (I know, I know) and theirs also went up by 4%. If you look more closely it's due to change in adult social care funding being added onto standard council tax (perhaps a loophole?) so the ACTUAL council tax states it increased by 1.99% (so it doesn't need a local referendum) and the other 2.01% was increases to support of adult care. Now whether someone wants to run an FoI in a year's time to see if every penny of that 2.01% actually went to adult social care it'd be interesting...

I would imagine if you look more closely at the bill from Sheffield that things will be the same. Just seen Jonny5 had already said the same thing about how the increase was done.

Very interesting. Thanks for bringing that to people's attention.

What annoys me, is the smoke and mirrors involved all round. First the government says it won't raise taxes, then it passes its social responsibilities on to councils, but starves them of cash, so they have to raise council tax to do it. They can't raise more than 2% so they have to be devious as well. The result is always the same - we have to cough up more money, but nobody takes the blame, or at least they can all blame each other.... marvellous.

They really do treat us like mushrooms...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post

The letter of notification does go on to say however, cuts will have to be made elsewhere to pay for it.

Angel1.

Are you sure as it didn't state that on my letter?

Sorry, I did simplify the wording slightly, but the meaning of the letter was as I stated.

Here is the bumpf off the actual letter.

" Social housing rents are set according to the Governments rent policy. This year there has been a significant change in its policy and as a consequence there will be a reduction in the rent you are going to be charged over the next four years. Although this may seem to be a positive outcome at a time when people are struggling to pay their bills, it is important to understand the potential impact this could have. The rental income we collect is reinvested to support the delivery of services including our property and maintenance service. The reduction in this income will present serious challenges and will inevitably lead to a review of the services we provide, we will always try to prioritise our core services but over the next four years we may need to start changing what we do and how we do it."

I hope you think the same as I do, the above is just a long winded way of telling us, "cuts will have to be made elsewhere to pay for it"

Angel1.

"Sheffield councillors voted to increase council tax by 3.99 per cent, made up of a 1.99 per cent increase on the tax rate and a two per cent precept to fund adult social care.

Money raised from the precept can only be spent on adult social care."

Translation: more jobs for middle managers/social workers and office staff and absolutely zero improvement in adult social care. It's another SCC winner!

In fact council payroll is falling and has been for several years. The precept is to fund the increase in minimum wage which comes in next month.

I'm not a fan of the Council but let's get some facts right.

---------- Post added 06-03-2016 at 19:55 ----------

..... Do Councillors need over £100k wages to be able live comfortably in Sheffield? Put a cap of £100k and tie the extra pay into point one.

The highest paid councillors get around 30k in allowances.

In fact council payroll is falling and has been for several years. The precept is to fund the increase in minimum wage which comes in next month.

I'm not a fan of the Council but let's get some facts right.

---------- Post added 06-03-2016 at 19:55 ----------

The highest paid councillors get around 30k in allowances.

30k in allowances is outrageous, this should be cut by at least half?

30k in allowances is outrageous, this should be cut by at least half?

For a full-time job, which is what the leader of the council really needs to do?

This all simply boils down to one thing, SCC can do whatever the hell they like and get away with it, people will moan, but they won't vote anyone else in. It seems to be a case of, lets vote Labour in again and hope they might just be slightly less crap this time round... oh wait.

They're not stupid, if only the voting population would come to this realisation.