Opinions on Plusnet

Hi Lostnfound - great to see a Plusnet presence on yet another forum :) Plusnet gets a lot of stick, but at least its employees are not afraid to put their heads above the parapet, unlike most ISPs.

I'm just wondering... presumably you are not posting here in work time? So do Plusnet employees use Plusnet as their ISP at home? :)

Hey :)

I was at work when i was posting earlier, i dont really know anyone here as ive just moved 200 miles up the M1, so i've been working some silly hours and have nothing else better to do :) Im now on the mobile because bt still havent sorted out my phoneline and im sad like that :/

Most of our staff use Plusnet connections, its a perk of the job and also really useful for testing stuff :)

Hey :)

I was at work when i was posting earlier, i dont really know anyone here as ive just moved 200 miles up the M1, so i've been working some silly hours and have nothing else better to do :) Im now on the mobile because bt still havent sorted out my phoneline and im sad like that :/

Most of our staff use Plusnet connections, its a perk of the job and also really useful for testing stuff :)

Welcome to Sheffield and Plusnet Towers, then! I suppose my next question is "Is this a free perk?" :) And what happens if you exceed the SUP - is it a sacking offence? :roll:

lostnfound, I'd be careful. If you are posting on here in Plusnet's time then I suspect they have usage in the workplace monitored and will know exactly who's posting what on what forums.

I appreciate your honesty on here, but I wouldn't do it in your employers time if you wish to remain anonymous.

Hehe ;)

My job is to monitor a number of forums (I think I got upto about 16 at last count) and deal with customer concerns. I'm more than within my working remit. Sure, I'm here as a person first and a PlusNet employee second, but I'm addressing concerns related to the company.

Regarding the DSL connections, yes, staff do get them for free, but a number (myself included & far too much) like to work from home, and it adds to the incentive, plus for testing reasons like I suggested earlier.

Bye :)

James

Nice one James. Good to see PlusNet taking some responsibility.

I have a client who is having aweful problems at the moment, which I am assuming is down to the upgrade. She has been have problems for about a month, you know, not being able to connect, ADSL losing it's sync without warning etc. I read somewhere that is to do with a software bug on BT's side of things. Would this be correct?

BTW, I gave up trying to speak to someone, on her behalf, after 40 minutes of being on hold. You could at least get the bloody music changed :)

I recommended PlusNet to my client, and others, based on ADSLGuide.org feedback. Now I have to tell her it's crap. Have you any idea when things are going to improve, on both the customer service and reliability sides.

Thanks

If you've got a username for me, I'll happily take a look.

There's a few BT Bugs regarding the higher speeds, but I'll still have a gander and see if there is anything I can do.

James

Well I have to admit over the last few days my MaxDsl'd line is starting to behave - I'm kinda hoping it stays that way...

One thing I would say that is that Plus net do tell you when they mess up and tell you what they are doing to fix it and stop it from happening again - not really seen that from any other of my previous ISPs.

I've still not been MAXed yet (Broomhill exchange). Should I complain or be grateful? :)

I've still not been MAXed yet (Broomhill exchange). Should I complain or be grateful? :)

Well you have the choice now according to the latest email update from Plus.net they seem to have had that many probs that they have delayed the rest of the upgrades unless you want it.

My advice is if you are happy with your current speeds stick with what you have and be happy!

Indeed, remember the old adage, "if it in't broke, don't fix it"? I thnk it applies in this case.

The decision is yours...

---

DSLMax Upgrade Process Changes

Hi Guys,

I wanted to let you know where we are currently with our upgrade process.

As a number of you are probably aware, the response times for phoning the support desk and responses to questions, especially fault related ones are nowhere near what we would like to be offering. This is to a large part down to a large number of problems that have been raised with the customers that we have upgraded to DSLMax. The main problems being line connectivity stability and fluctuating speeds, especially within the first ten days of activation. This is a causing a considerably higher volume of calls and questions being raised.

Now, I’m certainly not blaming our customers for this at any stage, as it is only natural to contact us when these sort of things occur. These problems are sadly happening across the industry, and we are suffering particularly because we are upgrading our entire userbase for free, and as such, have an extremely large backlog of faults and tickets.

Because of this, we have taken the decision to freeze our automatic upgrade process for at least the next two months. However, if you do still want to gain an upgrade to a DSLMax service, we will still be offering this to people that opt-in via the http://trials.plus.net site. We still will not be able to offer an accurate timescale for when these will be completed, but they should be performed within 3-4 weeks of the request being made. Anyone who has already put in a ‘queue jump’ ticket will be added to the ‘opt-in’ pool and upgraded if they haven’t already been upgraded (most have).

Now, obviously this raises the question as to whether or not this should have been the process that we should have taken initially. Hindsight is clearly a wonderful tool, and at the time that we made the decision to upgrade all of our customers, we felt that this would be a fair direction to follow for everyone, and the feedback that we had seen from the trials that BT ran, was extremely promising and had no indication that the number of issues that our customers are reporting would be seen.

Again, I appreciate that calls waiting times and the times that it is taking for us to respond to questions raised via our website is not acceptable, and we feel that by pursuing this decision, these will be reduced over time, as we are able to reduce the large backlog of faults and tickets we currently have open. I’d also like to apologise for the frustration that these back logs are currently causing, and also thank everyone for their patience during this exceptionally busy period of time.

So, in short, our DSLMax service offering will now be performed on an opt-in basis, and we will be emailing all those who have not yet been upgraded, to let them know.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey

CSC Communications Team Leader