Commute (drive) to manchester

Less on fuel than I'd expect.

Less on fuel than I'd expect.

In my car, it would be under £8/day at current prices.

Its ALWAYS worth going through broadbottom and charleworth.

a nice extra tip. as you get on the M67 take the first slip off and turn into denton, then drop onto Hyde road (the a57)

it will completely avoid the 30 minute queue at the end of the M67. then go around the roundabout and down to broadbottom.

total milleage will be 5 miles more than going down motram bank and through glossop but will cut lots off your drive home

my timings from the trafford centre to home where

monday - thurs 90 minutes

fri 2 hours

any day after 8pm 55 minutes.

i did the commute daily for 4 yrs.

Broadbottom route "always" good except for when the right turn was "road closed" a couple of weeks ago. You probably heard me scream.

I drive Manchester on a fairly regular basis via the Woodhead, you have to be on the road very early, I find if I leave the house at quarter past six it's a dream any later and it can be hellish. Travelling back the best time is no later than half three if you don't want to be pulling your hair out.

I did it for almost 4 hrs. i did the snake

find someone to show you the derbyshire level and birds nest. thats the shortcut that misses out glossop.

Another rat-run avoiding the centre of Glossop on the north side is:

Continue along A57 past the Esso petrol station to just before the A624 junction

Turn right on Ellison Street and continue right on Norfolk Street to top of hill

Left on Cemetery Rd and straight on along Park Rd and Hadfield Rd, then left at Woolley Bridge Rd, this drops you back on the A57 at Woolley Bridge.

The satisfaction gained may sustain you during the slow crawl up to Mottram:)

Does anyone drive over to Manchester city centre daily? Until we move, I'm going to have to do this for a couple of months. We're in Hillsborough so I'd guess getting to the station and getting the train would take too long (and be expensive). I'm hoping that if I leave at 7 it shouldn't be too horrendous, and either leave at 4 or after 6 for coming home.

Any views? I drive over regularly but not at rush hour. Is the Woodhead or Snake the best, or do people do other routes to avoid Glossop/Mottram. It'd be good to get some rough ideas so I don't upset my new employer, and keep my sanity.

I do the trip on the train, used to be five times a week, it was exhausting, I'm now doing three days a week, a day at our Leeds office (drive there), plus a half day at home. I enjoy driving but wouldn't want to drive daily to Manchester - although you have a head start on me, I live near Crystal Peaks.

Your train options - parking at Sheffield Station is £15 a day, so if you want to save cash and avoid a rush hour drive, you could use either Meadowhall and catch the TransPennine Express - it's pretty fast but very busy, involving a stand if you don't barge your way into a seat first. The 6am train is quiet enough to get a seat every time, there isn't a 7am train, so you need to connect via Sheffield, which gets messy. You will struggle to park at Meadowhall past 7:30am though. Cost is £27 for an anytime return, or about £338 for a monthly anytime season ticket. The return train leaves Manchester at 20past the hour and it's a real punch up to get a seat, the East Midlands train is better, but involves a change at Sheffield.

I'd suggest living in Hillsborough, you would be better driving to Bamford, where there's free parking, and the anytime return is £15 - there's a fast (ish) East Midlands train at 6:43am, but if you miss that, your will have to wait till 7:37am. Returning is slower via a Northern train at about 10 to the hour in the peak, with a service every two hours in the day and after the 18:49pm train.

I'd strongly recommend you push for as few a days in Manchester as possible - on a good day, i spend 3hrs 45minutes travelling.

All this falls apart if you are not working in the city centre, this is where the car wins hands down unless it's on a railway service from Sheffield.

traffic on the A628 Woodhead pass starts a round 06am,and through the day no such thing as off peake on that road Monday to Friday,i used to leave just before 05am and it took me around a hour,depending that you did not get stuck behind a HGV.

Your train options - parking at Sheffield Station is £15 a day, so if you want to save cash and avoid a rush hour drive, you could use either Meadowhall and catch the TransPennine Express - it's pretty fast but very busy, involving a stand if you don't barge your way into a seat first. The 6am train is quiet enough to get a seat every time, there isn't a 7am train, so you need to connect via Sheffield, which gets messy. You will struggle to park at Meadowhall past 7:30am though. Cost is £27 for an anytime return, or about £338 for a monthly anytime season ticket. The return train leaves Manchester at 20past the hour and it's a real punch up to get a seat, the East Midlands train is better, but involves a change at Sheffield.

There is a 06.46 direct from Meadowhall in the morning.

Does anyone drive over to Manchester city centre daily?

Sounds like my worst nightmare!

Doing the Snake every morn :gag:

Goodluck mate :thumbsup:

Something with an exclamation mark!

Then this emoji :gag:

Followed by this to make it all OK :thumbsup:

I don't do the morning run to Manchester often, but when I do (to Salford Quays / Deansgate area) I tend to take the lower road and go in through Stockport

Takes as long but it's mostly constant moving rather than the snided up frustration